DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Help with fixing tub spout "screw clamp" (

amodoko 03-19-2012 11:11 PM

Help with fixing tub spout "set screw clamp"
1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I recently took off my tub spout from my bathtub/shower unit and was in the process of reinstalling it. Anyways, the tub spout is secured to the copper/brass pipe (i don't know what kind of pipe it is) that comes out of the wall with a circular metal holder (don't know the name of this part) and set screw. I went to screw the set screw into the metal holder so the tub spout wouldn't rotate and I screwed it a bit tight, and the metal holder snapped in two. I believe it may have gotten weak with corrosion and mineral deposits and that's why it broke... plus I probably screwed it in too tight.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What is this metal holder part called?
2) Do they sell the metal holder part at Lowes/Home Depot/or general hardware stores?
3) Do I have to buy a whole new tub spout to fix this issue?
4) If I put enough silicone around the tub spout and let it dry, will that be enough for it to stay on tight? Are there any water issues associated with not replacing the meta holder, and finding another way to attach the tub spout? Or do I need to replace the clamp or tub spout all together?

I know this is a super basic repair, but I am no handyman and I also enjoy finding ways to fix my own things cheaply and efficiently. Thanks in advance!

kok328 03-20-2012 04:05 PM

The entire tub spout including set screw assembly can be replace for around $10, not worth messing around with, just replace it.

amodoko 03-20-2012 10:28 PM

Thanks, I will go ahead and replace the whole thing. 10 bucks is pretty darn cheap, not worth messing with in my opinion either, thanks a bunch:)

Puddlesx5 03-23-2012 05:13 AM

Too tight!?
If you tighten the tub spout down that tight you more than likely ruined the tube it connects onto. You will want to look for the bolt marks or oblonging of the tube. If you can see in your picture there's an o-ring that can be damaged if the surface is not smooth and burr free.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.