DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Help with fixing tub spout "screw clamp"

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 PM  
amodoko

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Help with fixing tub spout "set screw clamp"

Hi, I recently took off my tub spout from my bathtub/shower unit and was in the process of reinstalling it. Anyways, the tub spout is secured to the copper/brass pipe (i don't know what kind of pipe it is) that comes out of the wall with a circular metal holder (don't know the name of this part) and set screw. I went to screw the set screw into the metal holder so the tub spout wouldn't rotate and I screwed it a bit tight, and the metal holder snapped in two. I believe it may have gotten weak with corrosion and mineral deposits and that's why it broke... plus I probably screwed it in too tight.

I have a couple of questions:

1) What is this metal holder part called?
2) Do they sell the metal holder part at Lowes/Home Depot/or general hardware stores?
3) Do I have to buy a whole new tub spout to fix this issue?
4) If I put enough silicone around the tub spout and let it dry, will that be enough for it to stay on tight? Are there any water issues associated with not replacing the meta holder, and finding another way to attach the tub spout? Or do I need to replace the clamp or tub spout all together?

I know this is a super basic repair, but I am no handyman and I also enjoy finding ways to fix my own things cheaply and efficiently. Thanks in advance!

slip-diverter-spout.jpg  

Last edited by amodoko; 03-20-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 61

The entire tub spout including set screw assembly can be replace for around $10, not worth messing around with, just replace it.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 PM  
amodoko

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks, I will go ahead and replace the whole thing. 10 bucks is pretty darn cheap, not worth messing with in my opinion either, thanks a bunch

Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 AM  
Puddlesx5
Hearder of Turds

Default Too tight!?

If you tighten the tub spout down that tight you more than likely ruined the tube it connects onto. You will want to look for the bolt marks or oblonging of the tube. If you can see in your picture there's an o-ring that can be damaged if the surface is not smooth and burr free.

Quick Reply