DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Help identifying shower hardware (

ChrisMcCormick 09-03-2013 09:49 PM

Help identifying shower hardware
I have a leaky valve in the shower that I'm hoping to replace, but it looks like the packing nut on the valve is a custom size, so I'm hoping to find the manufacturer and figure out the correct size socket to order.

Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer? Thanks!

CallMeVilla 09-03-2013 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice pic but how would you know it is "custom" if it is not taken apart? Pull the cover to expose the stem and packing nut. You can buy a full set of various deep sockets (not expensive) which can reach the packing nut easily. (Try Home Depot) Slip it on and remove the valve.

Eazy Peezy :D

ChrisMcCormick 09-04-2013 10:38 AM

Thanks CallMeVilla. I've actually already tried that--the problem is, the only deep socket sets I can find around town only have sizes 21/32" and 27/32", and it looks like the packing nut is somewhere in between those two. I'm hoping to find the manufacturer so I can order the correct size socket online.


nealtw 09-04-2013 06:59 PM

They only have those sizes because they are odd. The only sizes between them are 11/16, 3/4, and 13/16. You could just go buy a cheap set of deep sockets

ChrisMcCormick 09-17-2013 09:55 PM

I've figured out that the packing nut is 3/4". The problem I have now is that it's super deep in there, and the valve stem is really long! The packing nut is set back about 1.5 inches into the wall, and the valve stem sticks out another 2.5 inches out of the wall. So to get at the packing nut, I would need a 4 inch deep socket!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a shower valve socket set, but it doesn't include a 3/4" size.

Can anyone point me to a 3/4" socket that's deep enough for the job, or maybe suggest some other tool to try?


CallMeVilla 09-17-2013 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You might have a Harden Valve ... The design looks right. rden&s2=&sku=HAR-136&r1=&r2=&r3=

If you contact this source, they should be able to get you the deep socket you need.
Customers Outside of Tennessee Please Call:


ChrisMcCormick 09-18-2013 12:29 PM

Thanks! I'll try giving them a call.

elbo 09-18-2013 02:00 PM

I think the size you need is metric, much as I hate to recommend them, I think you can get a deep metric socket from Sears, buy some sizes that look correct and return the ones that aren't

nealtw 09-18-2013 06:50 PM

3/4" and 19mm are close enough to the same size.

TedW 09-22-2013 12:56 PM

Chris, you mentioned the stem being so long you would need a really deep socket. I use deep sockets from my 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet set and let the stem poke through the hole where the ratchet handle would normally go. Then use pliers to turn the socket. Spark plug sockets work well for this.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.