DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > hot water cools fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you don't have the original documentation that came with that faucet, you can contact Moen on their web site and find out the name and phone number of the sales rep or agency that handles Moen in your area. E-mail that rep or agency the picture of your faucet, and they should be able to provide you with a photocopy of the original documentation. Alternatively, if the sales rep or agency can provide the model number of the faucet, you may be able to download it from Moen's web site. That documentation will explain how to recalibrate the antiscald mechanism on the shower faucet.

Redwood:
What do you think of the idea of running the shower until the water cools off, and then, with the shower still running, open the nearby bathroom sink faucet and see if the water mix can be made to run hotter in the sink than in the shower. That would determine whether the problem is in the shower faucet, or in the hot water itself.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-08-2010 at 09:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I think you may be onto the problem.
If it is a pressure balancing valve the pressure balancing valve may be stuck too far to one side favoring the cold water.
The lav could also be a factor but turning it off will isolate it from the mix without muddying our diagnostic efforts.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
If you don't have the original documentation that came with that faucet, you could probably e-mail the sales agency handling Moen in your area that picture, and they could provide you with a photocopy of the original documentation. Alternatively, if the sales agency can provide the model number of the faucet, you may be able to download it from Moen's web site.
It is even easier than that Nestor...

All he needs to do is visit this link and answer a few questions and Moen will show him pictures of a few faucets and he gets to pick his out of the line up...
Replacement Parts

Moen has by far the easiest website there is to find your parts diagram.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:31 PM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

OK, so I'll shut off the Moen sink faucet and try the shower to see if temperature improves. If it does not, I will need to look at shower faucet and possibly adjust the pressure balancing valve, right? Are you saying that adjusting it may fix both the temperature and the pressure problem? And so if shutting of the sink faucet fixes the temperature, then I can still try to adjust the shower valve to improve pressure, correct?
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Lets just try the shutting off the sink and see if the temperature improves for now. I'm for keeping this simple...

But you can try looking up the shower valve and let us know what you have.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 PM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was able to shut off cold water to the sink. I could not, however, shut off hot water completely. Even using an adjustable wrench, I could shut it off almost entirely so that when I pulled out the handle, there was a small trickle. Anyway, afterwards I took a shower. It seems that temp did not drop as fast as it did before, but I think it still dropped. Also, I am not sure whether it was because I shut off the sink faucet or because in the past I was using the shower shortly after someone else in the family did. By the way, I don't know whether it makes any difference, but the sink faucet is in the downstairs bath while the shower is in an upstairs bath. I am thinking about buying a water thermometer and measuring temp drop more accurately. But I don't think the problem has been solved.

I dug up the manual for the shower valve. It's Moen L82691. The install manual (http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instruction_sheets/ins898d.pdf) shows a temp limit part but I don't see any parts that control pressure. Also the spec sheet (http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/l82691sp.pdf) states that "Showerhead is limited to 2.5 gpm (9.5 L/min)". Is this a lot compared, say, to an average valve made 10-15-20 years ago? I am asking because I am wondering if we are out of luck trying to increase water pressure.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Okay your valve is a Moen Posi-Temp which uses the #1222 cartridge and has the pressure balancing built into the cartridge. To check the pressure balancing you shut off the water and remove the cartridge. when you shake the cartridge you should hear the pressure balancing rattle back and forth. If it doesn't usually taking the cartridge and giving it a sharp rap on the floor or , counter will free it up. This can cause both temperature and pressure problems.

Knowing if the temp is dropping at the utility sink when the shower cools off would be a big help...

Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
remove the cartridge.
What tools do I need to remove it? it's fairly new, was installed a couple of months ago.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Lets back up a bit and get real numbers with a thermometer and time measured.
These "I thinks" are starting to make me wish I was there...

Also when the shower cools off... Has the output of the water heater cooled off?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:58 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Also when the shower cools off... Has the output of the water heater cooled off?
How would he determine that? By running the hot water faucet in the utility sink near the water heater?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-14-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply