DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > hot water cools fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Thats what I would do Nestor...

I don't think we have answers coming...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

(Prolly another case of alien abduction.)

In which case, if the water at the utility sink is hotter, then we suspect the pressure balancing mechanism in the cartridge.

But, if it's the same temperature, then I'd shut off the water supply to the heater and allow water to drain out of it. If the water in the heater is the same temperature as the shower and utility sink, then we've simply run out of hot water. But, if it's hotter than the shower and utility sink, then it's time to revisit the dip tube, correct?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:16 PM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Thats what I would do Nestor...

I don't think we have answers coming...
They are not coming since I can't find a good thermometer. That is, one that has a good degree range, a fine scale (1 deg as opposed 5 deg) and waterproof. I checked my local stores plus Amazon but did not yet find one that seems right.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you send me a self addressed stamped padded envelope, I'll send you one of these.

It's a Tekmar 071 universal temperature sensor. It's a thermistor. It changes it's resistance very precisely with changes in it's temperature. You simply measure the resistance across it, and you enter that resistance in the chart on page 3 of this PDF file, and read off the temperature.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/literature/acrobat/d070.pdf

I replaced it hoping that one of the problems with my boiler was due to a faulty sensor, but it turns out the old sensor was OK. So, I replaced a good sensor with a new sensor, so I have a good sensor I don't need.

You can guestimate the temperature to + or - 1 degree F using the chart just by eyeballing based on the resistance, but you can also mathematically interpolate between resistance readings to get a much more accurate temperature reading (to well within one degree F). Thermistors, by nature, are very accurate, but the accuracy with which you measure the resistance will probably be a limitation here.

To overcome that limitation, you might just work in ohm rather than degrees, knowing that higher resistances mean cooler temperatures. After all, you don't need to know the temperature precisely, you just need to know if the water coming out one faucet is significantly hotter than the water coming out another.

Use a pair of wire nuts to connect the leads of the thermistor to the probles of your digital multimeter, hold the thermistor by the leads with the sensor bulb immersed in the water and wait for the resistance reading to stabilize. Then, convert that resistance reading to a temperature.

It's good from -60 deg. F to 255 deg. F and at room temperature (25 deg C), it's got an accuracy of 0.2 deg. C or about 1/3 of a degree F. The sensor bulb is metal and it appears to be well sealed, so I don't think immersion in water would harm it.

http://www.tekmarcontrols.com/prod/071.shtml

Private Message me to get my mailing address. Make sure to send a PADDED envelope since the hard metal sensor bulb is 3/8 inch in diameter and 3/4 inch long. I'd be concerned that putting that in a normal paper envelope would cause the envelope to tear in the mail sorting machines. A padded envelope would work a lot better.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-16-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ilyaz:
Let me know if you didn't get my mailing address. That was the first time I sent a personal message rather than just reply to one.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:17 PM  
ilyaz

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Ilyaz:
Let me know if you didn't get my mailing address. That was the first time I sent a personal message rather than just reply to one.
Yes, got it, thanks

Quick Reply