DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > How long before a new fitted compression joint would leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 PM  
Gazza85

Default How long before a new fitted compression joint would leak?

Firstly this is my first post so hello and merry christmas

My girlfriends valve under her sink which connects the cold water feed to her washing machine was leaking so i bought a new one to replace it. As the old one was so knackered (you could spin it round by hand but not even the worlds strongest man could seperate the nut from the joint) i hacked it off with a saw and tried to do it as neat as possible.

I then fitted the new compression joint where i had hacked the old one off and used ptfe tape on the copper pipe/valve bit and turned the water back on. I kept an eye on it for 2 hours whilst i was still at the house and it hadent failed/wept. If it was going to fail/weep how long would it take?

Im only worried because the end of the pipe was sewn off and the pipe was too short for me to clean it up without changing the whole thing.

Cheers guys

Last edited by Gazza85; 12-24-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 94 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 60

This can not be predicted. Just because it doesn't leak now doesn't mean it won't develop a leak over time.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:39 PM  
JoeD

Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts

If it doesn't leak in five minutes I would call it good. If you are still unsure leave some newspaper under it for few days. Any drips will be visible even after they have dried up.

Quick Reply