DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > How to prep a clawfoot tub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM  
csweihe

Default How to prep a clawfoot tub

My clawfoot was released from a 30 year imprisonment behind a makeshift tub surround. Really bad. so, it is in good shape except for some bubbly looking weirdness around the top lip UNDER the roll edge. ???? The faucet hole seems to be black and pitted but not rusted through.

I would like to do a mosaic on the outside of the tub. Any ideas how to prep the surface? steel wool and oil? no oil? would oil interfere with mastic? Should I use mastic for the tile?

help please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Csweihe:
You could use a wire brush wheel on a side grinder to shine the tup up, no oil. And yes, use the mastic to install the new tile, making sure you seal it well to keep the tub dry on the outside.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bathtub, corrosion, mosaic, rust

Quick Reply