DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > how would I fix this? pic included

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 AM  
murph52

Here's a drill bit that should accomplish what Johnboy555 describes.

http://www.pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy555 View Post
They make a tool now that is designed to drill out the pipe from a cemented joint. I'm pretty sure it's called a "Hub Saver" but go in to any plumbing supply house, not the big box stores, and they should have one. I've used it and it's saved me a lot of time and work. Cut the vertical pipe about 2' above the crack, and directly above the hub of the fitting. Use the Hub Saver as directed...make sure to hold the drill in a VERY straight line to the hub. Glue a new 2" piece of pipe into the hub and install a using a Fernco or repair union (connector) at the top.
Buying a hub saver for a one time use will cost more that all of the parts needed for the job...

But yea I have one so I would use it....

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
Seems like replacing this assembly isn't that much harder or more expensive than using one of these couplings, and it is a nice, relatively simple, first project since it's just replacing what's already there. Replacing the assembly would also possibly give the OP the chance to convert that existing s-trap into a p-trap-- that's a bigger siphon concern to me than the (future) a/c trap.
I agree...

But as far as the s-trap - p-trap that is a p-trap but it is too close to the sani-tee so it is "Crown Vented" 2 pipe diameters is the minimum distance.

Of course most of you don't realize this but being in the local area I do...
The original poster is from East Haven, CT also known as "Stavin" and this is the town Henry Winkler lived in while attending the Yale Drama School. There is no doubt in my mind that the Happy Days character Fonzie was developed there by him after studying the locals...

That said with my knowledge of the area I am 99.99% certain that the kitchen sink comes down that line from the floor above and proper venting doesn't exist anyway....

Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM  
Johnboy555

I think I paid about $10-$11 for the drill I have. Exact model as in Murph's post. Has really come in handy when replacing some of these totally cemented ABS drains and traps!

Quick Reply