DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > identification of brand

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:40 AM  
serenading

Default identification of brand

I got called into a job at the last stages...after things went south with the contractor. There is a Roman tub faucet body installed with no access. It is ready for the trim, but it has disappeared and the owner does not remember what brand it is or even what store it came from.

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of what's there. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I dont' recognize it. Best bet is to replace it.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Try pulling out the stem and posting a picture.

That may give us some additional insight...

Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 AM  
joecaption

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First thing I'm thinking is, why no access. How is someone going to check this for leaks before using, or work on it later?
The second thought is I'm not so sure that mounting a faucet in that position on wood is such a good idea, first time the stem leaks there's going to be rot oir at least stained wood.
My third thought is whos idea was it you use T & G wood as the top, for a soaking tub? Waters going to just lay in the low spots and leak down below it and the woods going to mold up.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First thing I'm thinking is, why no access. How is someone going to check this for leaks before using, or work on it later?
The second thought is I'm not so sure that mounting a faucet in that position on wood is such a good idea, first time the stem leaks there's going to be rot oir at least stained wood.
My third thought is whos idea was it you use T & G wood as the top, for a soaking tub? Waters going to just lay in the low spots and leak down below it and the woods going to mold up.
You're Right, Tear The House Down and Start Over!

Or, post a picture of the stem....
Whichever is easiest....

Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 AM  
serenading

Yeah, I know. But the customer's agenda is to finish up what was started...in this case not only the remodel but a divorce...to be able to put the house on the market. The faucet is tentatively identified as an 'older model' Moen and I have obtained a trim kit and adapter kit (after sending pics to the Moen techs) and will know if their info was accurate. I'll let you know.

But it's always a bad idea to just 'do what's pretty' w/o thinking about maintenance.

As a plumber, I always advise people to not do things like put a water heater in the attic or purchase cheap (but pretty) faucets that they will never be able to get parts for.

Quick Reply