DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Installing a new kitchen sink (

grantbob 08-21-2009 06:01 AM

Installing a new kitchen sink
We have bought a new sink to replace our existing one. The problem is that the new one is 2" deeper to the bottom of the drain.

Under the drain, there is a T where the other side of the sink drain come in, and below that a piece that has a nipple for the dishwasher hose. Neither of these are long enough to take out the 2". Right below these, is the trap.

My question is - if I want to keep everything else as it is, can I add the 2" between the other (exit) side of the trap and the drain pipe going to the main drain line without any problems?


majakdragon 08-21-2009 08:54 AM

As long as the piping is above the pipe that exits into the wall, you will be fine. The question is a bit confusing and hard to picture. What I am saying is that you cannot have any piping dropping below the drain pipe going into the wall, and then jumping back up to it.

grantbob 08-21-2009 02:23 PM

The top of the drain going out, is just below the top of the long side of the trap. The 2" more depth needed for this sink will make the top of trap below the outgoing drain line.

Does anyone make a shallow sink strainer?

Redwood 08-22-2009 10:14 AM

There are some shallow strainers...
Whether it is enough for your application I can't say.
The drain in the wall may have to be lowered.
Post a picture of your pipes under the sink and let us see what you have.
We may see something that you don't that can shorten things up a bit.

Make some garbage posts in this section to get your post count up high enough to post a picture.
Start a joke thread or something...

grantbob 08-24-2009 07:25 AM

Here's a link to some pictures. I hope this helps to clear up my question.

Sink pictures by grantbob - Photobucket

Redwood 08-26-2009 09:47 AM

You may have just enough to make it with lower profile basket strainer assemblies and by trimming that end outlet combination waste tee. Very hard to say for sure,

The pipe in the wall does it go horizontal or vertical?

grantbob 08-26-2009 09:59 AM

It's horizontal.

grantbob 08-26-2009 10:03 AM

So, everything that is above the trap (from the strainer to the trap) has to be above the horizontal outlet pipe?

Redwood 08-26-2009 04:29 PM

Yes, And if you do have to change the height of the pipe in the wall you would have to open over to where it tee's into the vertical pipe and lower the tee.

You could also look at single basin sinks or, shallower sinks.

Basket strainer assemblies that are not double cup tend to be shallower.

Dominique 09-30-2009 07:11 AM

If you can't figure out a good solution go back where you bought your sink and ask questions. A standard disposal should be able to fit. With a sloped drain opening your plumbing might be interesting underneath.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.