DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > just got a really high water bill

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 10:11 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

LOL.. I had a similar problem here, I had to replace the water line from the meter all the way to the house. It NEVER showed any sign of leaking on the ground, but the trencher found mud about 7ft. from the meter and continued for about 20ft. The ground here apparently just disbursed the water as it leaked.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2007, 11:47 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that sounds great. i can remember my father having to replace a line like that, or at least he did the digging so it could be done. seems like we all were out there at one time or another taking a turn at it.

er... what's kctcs? i was thinking i'd better call or something when i realised i didn't know what it stood for to look it up.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Kentucky community and technical college system

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM  
patty47042

change bathroom faucet

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Patty:
If you are replacing a bath faucet here's a plan by the numbers. It should also have instructions with it.
1. turn the water supply off under the sink (hot and cold) the little valve on the hot water side may not shut off completely, in which case go to the main valve where the water line enters the house, or at the water heater.
2. Take the old faucet off by removing the supply lines and then the lock-down nuts with a faucet wrench , a specialty tool for working in the tight space below the sink. If the lock-down nuts will not turn, you can drill them on one side and split them with a screwdriver.
3. Lift the old faucet out.
4. Use the enclosed plastic gasket or put a bead of plumber's putty around the perimiter of the faucet base.
5. Set the faucet in place and have a helper to hold it straight and centered. If help is not available just tighten the new lock-down nuts finger tight, realign the faucet, then tighten with the faucet wrench.
6. Attach the supply lines to the new faucet, turn the water on and look for leaks.
7. Unscrew the flow limiter and screen from the underside of the spout.
8. Run the hot and cold water for a full minute to remove any debris that may have fallen in the holes or become loosened in the pipes.
9. Replace the screen and flow limiter set. If you must tighten it with pliers, put several layers of cloth on it first to eleminate cuts and scrapes. Do not over grip the pliers; it will crush.
10. Congratulations! You're finished. Enjoy.
By the way, if you live along I-40 between Nashville and Sevierville and have any trouble with the faucet, let me know; we love to have an excuse to go to the Smokies.
Glenn

Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM  
Homebody

In terms of a high water bill there is many things you can do to cut down, the following might help hot water bill.

Quick Reply