DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Large Flathead Screw on Bottom of Tub Faucet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 AM  
triumphant1

That looks like a threaded cap that covers what would second as a hand shower sprayer attachment. If you are renting however, this isnt your problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 PM  
ThanhN

Thanks for trying to help guys. Owner said that he dose not need to repair the spout. i am looking to move out because i do not know about anyone else but i cant stand taking cool to almost warm showers. i like them hot. thanks agian for all the help everyone.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM  
plumber2011
Master Plumber

Hi all,

Amazing, huh! It sounds like the landlord doesn't care that water is being wasted. That surprises me at the costs of water and sewer nowadays!

ThanhN, you are not responsible to repair anything in a home that is not yours. In fact, any damage done as a result of you doing work will be charged to you and you don't want that so I would stop worrying about the repair.

Instead, what you should worry about is the temperature and availability of hot water to you/your apartment. Here, I'd recommend that you purchase a cheap thermometer at a local hardware store and check the MAXIMUM temperature of the hot water coming from the shower. If the temperature is 112F to 120F or so then you are fine and the landlord is providing hot water as required by law. If, on the other hand, the water temperature is, like, 100F or less, then you need to inform your landlord that the hot water temperature is not correct and needs to be turned up as required by law. Otherwise, you could actually call the local Board of Health and report the landlord for not providing you with sufficient hot water to clean/sanitize as needed/required, OK?

Good luck here...

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM  
mattmunee

I ran into the same problem this weekend, with an identical tub spout.

That is NOT a set screw. Just use a strap wrench or otherwise and the whole spout will twist right off.

Quick Reply