DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Laundry water shutoffs question (

JeremyB 03-24-2014 07:31 PM

Laundry water shutoffs question
2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys.

We are going to be getting a new washing machine in the coming days and have been looking at the shutoffs to it and wanting them replaced. I dont know if its a plumber job or I can handle it ( you guys have walked me through most problmes )

I have attatched some pictures. I als have red arrows going to what looks like would be where I could loosen it with a wrench and purchase a new one for the hot and cold. They just looks old and seized and want some new ones there.

Actually I know the cold is pretty seized:D

IS this somethign I can do, and do they still make parts like that? I assume if they do I would wrap the treads with teflone taps and some pipe dope. Here are the pictures

Thanks for help guys, you all have been a huge help to me

nealtw 03-24-2014 07:42 PM

Yes and replace them with ball valves with teflon tape. I have never seen those clamp on saddles before. It will be interesting to see what the pros say about those.

JeremyB 03-24-2014 08:34 PM

Thans neal they will have the ball valves one with the spot to connect a washing machine hose?

CallMeVilla 03-24-2014 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What you have are the old school gate valves ... YES, you can replace them easily using a superior design: ball valves. This is a simple remove and replace exercise ... just make sure you use Teflon tape and tighten appropriately. (Most people don't realize the "feel" of a properly tightened fitting is a learned skill)

Also, replace those black supply hoses with braided metal hoses. The number one cause of flood damage in houses is burst washing machine supply hoses!

nealtw 03-24-2014 08:53 PM

Yes..................interior hose bibs

JeremyB 03-25-2014 06:17 AM

Thanks again for the help guys I appreciate it very much, I will also pick up a couple hoses toddy.

just a question what are those plastic rings for exactly?


nealtw 03-25-2014 07:13 AM

The taps in the photo would be for a sink, you will find ones that will fit what you need.

JeremyB 03-25-2014 07:52 AM

Thanks Neal, they kind of look similar dont they? I am sure I saw them at the hardware store and thats what the kind of looks like

That plastic part on those taps would be for a counter to tighten them up to the countertop right?

nealtw 03-25-2014 07:56 AM

Yes, you will find taps that look just like yoiur old ones, with a ball valve. they are a lot less problem.

JeremyB 03-25-2014 08:12 AM

Cheers Neal I appreciate it.

One last question to ask would you maybe a have a pic of what they would look like. It will be my luck when I am in there and don't get the right ones and have to listen to the wife say " Should have just ask that guy on the site for a picture or a link for the right ones",lol

I can hear it now. :rofl:

Thanks again Fellas for the patience and help. Truly some great people that have no problems helping out guys:beer:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 AM.