DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Leak Above Hot Water Heater with pics (

startagain 07-29-2011 05:18 PM

Leak Above Hot Water Heater with pics
It's a shame I can't fix anything around the house. I appreciate all the contributors here and have learned a lot reading these forums. Thanks to everyone for their input.



the water is dripping consistently and it is warm. It is coming right from where the screw is going into the black thing.

A pipe comes out of the wall, down to this black thing then out the bottom and back into the wall.

This is in the hot water heater closet it in my garage. The drip is pretty steady but I don't see my water meter moving so i am not sure where the water is coming from, where it is going or most importantly how to fix it.

My assumption is some sort of washer or seal is malfunctioning inside the black thing.

I guess my question is getting into that black thing something I can tackle by myself and where would the water valve be to turn the water off? If I can't - should I call a plumber or someone else?


Redwood 07-29-2011 08:37 PM

That looks like its a pressure reducing valve...

Replace it!

startagain 07-30-2011 02:26 AM

Thanks for the response - is this a job for a plumber?

inspectorD 07-30-2011 05:55 AM

Yup, this is the main line and probably needs to be shut off out at the street. This is not an area a DIY person wants to mess with, because if there is a leak, you are to blame.

Redwood 07-30-2011 09:12 AM

It would depend on...
  • Whether the main valve on the incoming water supply actually works without leaking....
  • Whether you found an identical valve to replace it with or, your plumbing abilities to adapt to a new valve....
  • If you run into any problems, your abilities to be able to adapt, and being able to have qualified help to respond....
    (Starting 6PM Saturday is not the best idea)

Replacement should be quite easy as it is held in place with unions.
But I don't want to jinx you because crap happens when you say words like easy and piece of cake...
Ooops... :eek:

Toadfish 08-02-2011 03:24 PM

IMHO it should be an easy fix. Watts 3/4 in. Cast-Bronze FPT x MPT Pressure-Reducing Valve with Stainless-Steel Strainer - N55BU M1 at The Home Depot

The valve you show behind the tag is a ball valve and rarely leak, Even if it drips a bit you'll be fine. Besides you will still have water draining back from the plumbing above, expect to get a bit wet.
Shut the ball valve below the PRV, open up 2 faucets on an above floor and one where the leaking valve is. (if there is one). Open an outside hose valve let drain for a few minutes.
Get a bucket and loosen one of the nuts on the pressure reducing valve and let drain for a few minutes. Loosen the other and remove the PRV (pressure reducing valve). NOTE which way the arrow is facing on existing valve. Under the PRV nuts will be "O" rings. Try not to damage them just in case you mangle the new ones. Insert the new valve with the arrow in the same direction with "O" rings and tighten. Shut valves and turn the water back on and check for leaks.

Redwood 08-02-2011 04:42 PM

Well it would be easy as long as the threads on the union and the faces of the union match.... :eek:

But you said the easy word....

startagain 08-03-2011 10:43 AM

thanks for all the help - I ended up calling a plumber who was a friend of a friend. He needed a blow torch to get it off so there is zero chance I could of done this myself but I learned a lot in the process.

It took him about 2.5 hours to replace it.

Thanks again for all the help

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:56 AM.