DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Leaky Curved Copper Pipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 01:45 PM  
jvc714

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Leaky Curved Copper Pipe

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to fix a leak in a curved copper pipe? I considered cutting the leak out and using a Sharkbite slip coupler but I cannot slide the slip coupler over it because the pipe is curved.

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM  
oldognewtrick

Liked 275 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 88

If it's copper, why can't you cut the pipe, slide a union on and solder the joint?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM  
jvc714

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
If it's copper, why can't you cut the pipe, slide a union on and solder the joint?

I normally would. The problem is that it is the pipe is under a concrete slab under the house. I can only cut what I can see and I can only see the bend.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM  
nealtw

Liked 538 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Have you a reason for this leak. If it is a bad peice of pipe or corrosion of some kind, you could expect it to leak again. How hard would it be to remove or by-pass this peice?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 PM  
jvc714

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I think it is a pinhole leak in the copper pipe. The copper pipe is under a wall that I can only get to by digging a small trench under the foundation through a 8x12 inch hole in the foundation in the laundry room. It is very tight and I am limited on how far I can dig.

Unfortunately, I already know it will happen again as this was a very poor design. Basically, instead of using an elbow, the builder bent the pipe and poured the slab above it.

I really do not want to jack hammer the slab more than I have to as I live in earthquake country and do not want to weaken the slab more than I have to.

I am hoping that someone here knows some trick that will union a curved pipe with a straight pipe together without near future problems.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jvc714; 11-11-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: quoted wrong member.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 PM  
jvc714

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nealtw,

I think it is a pinhole leak in the copper pipe. The copper pipe is under a wall that I can only get to by digging a small trench under the foundation through a 8x12 inch hole in the foundation in the laundry room. It is very tight and I am limited on how far I can dig.

Unfortunately, I already know it will happen again as this was a very poor design. Basically, instead of using an elbow, the builder bent the pipe and poured the slab above it.

I really do not want to jack hammer the slab more than I have to as I live in earthquake country and do not want to weaken the slab more than I have to.

I am hoping that someone here knows some trick that will union a curved pipe with a straight pipe together without near future problems.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 AM  
nealtw

Liked 538 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 998

Have a look at this, for re-shaping a damaged pipe.http://www.swigtools.com/

Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 AM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 266 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Sharkbite on a curve is NOT good ... I have seen water heaters setup that way and the leak was terrible.

I would prefer to go with the flow! If you have a bent pipe, cut out the problem area and rebend a new piece which is cusome crafted to match. I use a bending spring (readily available and inexpensive) which is inserted in a longer pipe. Once you get the right bend, remove the spring, cut the section you need, resolder it into your problem area. Tricky in your case but it might work.

Here is a video to show you how to bend the copper to match your problem area.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM  
jvc714

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you Nealtw for the suggestion for the tool. I looked at it and it is just too expensive for me to buy it for one time use.

Thank you CallMeVilla for the suggestion. Do you by chance know where I can find a coupler that will union two pipes with a bend? Preferably without soldering? The work space is very small and I really don't want to accidentally burn myself.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:52 AM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 266 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You keep backing yourself into the Sharkbite corner ... That is the only non-solder option.

Honestly, your concern about destabilizing your house if you remove more foundation seems over-stated. Work gets done on houses all the time and the cement is replaced ... you could add rebar if it makes you feel more happy.

For a proper fix, you need access ...

Quick Reply