DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > move kitchen, how to run pipes??

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM  
2muddyboots

Default move kitchen, how to run pipes??

Hi, we have a galley style kitchen and are interested in moving it to an addition that is now used as a very large dining room.I included a pic, excuse the Christmas mess, I took it and cringed. Lol the sink is where the cat it and the water heater is behind the wall to the right of the cat. The new location for sink and dish washer will be by the ugly green blinds. Both walls are out side walls house is on slab.
Can I run drain with out drilling into slab?
Can in run hot and cold water in wall? Will I need new vent? Any idea in cost for plumber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 PM  
2muddyboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muddyboots View Post
hi, we have a galley style kitchen and are interested in moving it to an addition that is now used as a very large dining room.i included a pic, excuse the christmas mess, i took it and cringed. Lol the sink is where the cat it and the water heater is behind the wall to the right of the cat. The new location for sink and dish washer will be by the ugly green blinds. Both walls are out side walls house is on slab.
Can i run drain with out drilling into slab?
Can in run hot and cold water in wall? Will i need new vent? Any idea in cost for plumber.

forumrunner_20121227_002815.jpg

forumrunner_20121227_002839.jpg

Old 12-27-2012, 12:47 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 841 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Hey welcome to the site. Depending on where you are, you likely don't want plumbing running thru outside wall and with your vaulted ceiling you will have no chance of tieing your vent back above the old kitchen.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM  
2muddyboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Hey welcome to the site. Depending on where you are, you likely don't want plumbing running thru outside wall and with your vaulted ceiling you will have no chance of tieing your vent back above the old kitchen.
I figured the vaulted ceiling would be an issue, we live in southwest ohio. right now the pipe for our kitchen is in an outside wall, not very far but is there. The layout of the home is sooooooo off with this kitchen being where it is, it slices into our living room making it a skinny long rectangle. My washer and furnace are next to my stove. No joke this place dose not have a furnace room, its my kitchen. I am serious about dumping some cash to take this big beautiful room and using it.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

I'm not a plumber but I think you are breaking the slab and then find a location for the vent between the windows.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Any chance you can run new lines, including drain, inside cabinets way towards the back? Tie new sink drain into present location. Hide them behind a false back with enough ventilation to let room air in. Extend new drain a bit past sink with a 45 el on end to outside so you can have a clean out to run snake through.

If what i laughingly call my brain remembers right, the vent needs to be within 6 feet of sink drain, so you may have to run that up inside wall. Possibly even run vent outside exterior wall inside a chase. Two decorative chases on each side of window over sink masquerading as pilasters or columns? Clean out acess hidden in one chase behid access door/

You could furr out studs to get thicker wall, insulate real good and run new water lines on room side of insulation. but that could be a bit risky, considering your winter temps.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM  
2muddyboots

I like the false back idea however, I want to use cabinets in "new" kitchen location. So could make wall thicker. My house is stucco, if that means he thing. Also could consider making an addition between old kitchen, and the dining room addition make it a laundry mud room, when pour new slab I could run plumbing there in slab... he ideas how much that would be vs. Needing to tear up old slab which is alot

Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM  
2muddyboots

Basket ball hoop is by window where new sink will be, small window to its right is where sink is now. We only have one teeeeeeny bathroom that needs space to breathe so addition may be a good side. The home was built in 50s . And yes I could move but we really love to location and got a great deal on home, and the addition it has let's in tons of light which most home in this area are exactly like ours minus the addition

Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Another addition may be an option but digging a ditch in the concrete isn't that big of a deal.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 PM  
2muddyboots

So far every source I have found has said that breaking it up is a huge cost. But I am totally willing to rent a jackhammer and trench away. We know a plumber. If it is 12 feet away is that doable?

Quick Reply