DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/)
-   -   Pitcher pump problem (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/pitcher-pump-problem-11647/)

house92 07-04-2011 06:40 PM

Pitcher pump problem
 
I replaced an old pitcher pump with a new one over a well in the front lawn. When I start pumping and the water starts, the handle will lock up. The pipe is not on the bottom of the well, and there appears to be nothing in the water table that is blocking it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Speedbump 07-05-2011 08:23 AM

A Pitcher Pump does not have a pipe. It has a plunger inside the 3" casing of the pump which works against the check valve in the bottom of the pump to do the pumping.

Maybe you have a different kind of pump than a Pitcher pump. A picture would be helpful.

house92 07-05-2011 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbump (Post 58516)
A Pitcher Pump does not have a pipe. It has a plunger inside the 3" casing of the pump which works against the check valve in the bottom of the pump to do the pumping.

Maybe you have a different kind of pump than a Pitcher pump. A picture would be helpful.

My pump looks exactly like the one in your avatar and has the parts that I attached.

"Pipe" was bad choice of words. I was referring to the 2" plastic line that connects to the bottom of the pump and extends into the water below.

Speedbump 07-05-2011 09:17 AM

OK, gotcha. Did you prime the pump, so as to get the leather wet and pliable?

house92 07-05-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbump (Post 58518)
OK, gotcha. Did you prime the pump, so as to get the leather wet and pliable?

Yes, we primed it; however, the valve is made of rubber instead of leather. Would that make a difference? I've noticed as I look around the web that they are described as being leather, but for some reason, ours is rubber.

Speedbump 07-05-2011 11:30 AM

Well it could if it were to turn over. PItcher Pumps usually have "leather" leathers. The 3" cylinder is cast iron and rusts easily. Maybe the rubber leather turned over because of that.

house92 07-05-2011 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbump (Post 58521)
Well it could if it were to turn over. PItcher Pumps usually have "leather" leathers. The 3" cylinder is cast iron and rusts easily. Maybe the rubber leather turned over because of that.

In this case, what do you mean by "turning over?" It seems secure and I don't see how anything could move out of place. Just to make sure, this picture is what I'm speaking of. The brown piece on mine is rubber instead of leather.


Attachment 2854

Speedbump 07-06-2011 07:08 AM

That piece is the bottom check valve. Or weighted valve as it's sometimes called. The "leather" that we're referring to is on the plunger which is hanging from the Pumps handle. It is a 3" cup leather (rubber in your case). If; when you pushed down on the handle, the rubber (leather) were to invert, it could get very hard to move the handle either way.

house92 07-06-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbump (Post 58536)
That piece is the bottom check valve. Or weighted valve as it's sometimes called. The "leather" that we're referring to is on the plunger which is hanging from the Pumps handle. It is a 3" cup leather (rubber in your case). If; when you pushed down on the handle, the rubber (leather) were to invert, it could get very hard to move the handle either way.

I understand. Are both the check valve and 3" cup usually made of leather on most pumps?

Speedbump 07-06-2011 08:44 AM

All the ones I have had apart (and that's quite a few) had all leather. No rubber. If your going to try a leather cup, you will also need the inside diameter of the hole in the cup. It should be either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2".


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.