DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Plumbers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM  
itiswhatitis1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Plumbers

Why pay a plumber $100.00 hour. Plumber make it sound like it so hard. I solder 20 fitting in my basement and not 1 leak. Ran all the drain line in PVC little primer and glue it that easy. Never pay a plumber again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 408 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by itiswhatitis1 View Post
Why pay a plumber $100.00 hour. Plumber make it sound like it so hard. I solder 20 fitting in my basement and not 1 leak. Ran all the drain line in PVC little primer and glue it that easy. Never pay a plumber again.
Good for you! How do you know you ran everything correctly? Just because it doesn't leak doesn't mean that it won't be a problem someday.

Why should you pay a plumber? Cause there's more to it than just a little glue and primmer. A lot of plumbers are small businessmen. If they could clear that much an hour everyone would want to be a plumber. Factor in the cost of his vehicle, gas, insurance, workers comp, tools, inventory, licenses, training, taxes, clothing, overhead, bookkeeper, electric, cost of carrying receivables, and if he has a helper, add a whole lot more. He wishes for a small part when the dust settles.

And why do you want to come on here, your first post and bash some of the hardest working trades people in the business? It's OK to be proud of your accomplishments, but not at the expense of some trained professionals who spend much of their days cleaning up the mess of homeowners who have no idea what they are doing.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 PM  
itiswhatitis1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick

Good for you! How do you know you ran everything correctly? Just because it doesn't leak doesn't mean that it won't be a problem someday.

Why should you pay a plumber? Cause there's more to it than just a little glue and primmer. A lot of plumbers are small businessmen. If they could clear that much an hour everyone would want to be a plumber. Factor in the cost of his vehicle, gas, insurance, workers comp, tools, inventory, licenses, training, taxes, clothing, overhead, bookkeeper, electric, cost of carrying receivables, and if he has a helper, add a whole lot more. He wishes for a small part when the dust settles.

And why do you want to come on here, your first post and bash some of the hardest working trades people in the business? It's OK to be proud of your accomplishments, but not at the expense of some trained professionals who spend much of their days cleaning up the mess of homeowners who have no idea what they are doing.
The man at lowe's told me how to do it to code. He also does handman work and a lot of plumbing and sound like he no what he is doing. And look it up on this web site

Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The man at lowe's told me how to do it to code. He also does handman work and a lot of plumbing and sound like he no what he is doing. And look it up on this web site
It's nice to know we have a good handyman to answer our pluming questions!!
Does your knowledge run in other fields also? I hope you got permits and inspections on the work you done. Its also nice to know that these guys at the
supper stores knows all the codes. After 40 years in business if i have a code question i will give them a call. Paul

Old 01-29-2012, 07:07 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

If he's so knowledable regarding plumbing and code then why is he working at Lowes when he could be making $100/hr ?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$100/hr may not sound like so much if your sewer lines break and you need to crawl through a pond of raw sewage to fix it...

Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM  
Daddytron

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kok328 View Post
If he's so knowledable regarding plumbing and code then why is he working at Lowes when he could be making $100/hr ?
Same thing I was thinking... There are times when a DIY'er can tackle plumbing... and other times I would be glad to pay $100 an hour to have someone who knows EXACTLY what they are doing to fix things for me

Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Quote:
Oh Boy!
Put up some pictures of your work...
I'd like to see how a $10/hr Smockman told you to do things...

I could use a good laugh...

Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 PM  
itiswhatitis1

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still working great. Save a lot of money doing it my self. Why do you people say if you work at lowe's your a hack. So plumber can't work at lowe's.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 788 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

This is an odd place for you to bring your rant. This site is full of people willing to help diyer's like your self and the pros that bring there expertize at no charge. You surely have never tried to run a service business and have no idea of the cost of doing business.

Quick Reply