||02-25-2013 11:25 AM
Pressure reducing valve problem?
I believe I may have a pressure reducing valve problem. I have attached a picture.
Symptoms: About 4-5 months ago I noticed increased pressure and force out of the shower heads. Also about 4 weeks ago I noticed some water hammering in the upstairs bathroom fixtures which is not present on the lower level.
My home (and hence this valve) is approximately 10 years old on city water.
Water supply comes from below and travels up, the main shut off is just below this picture.
1) Is the attached picture one of a pressure reducing valve?
2) Is the valve in my picture sweated in, or can I remove and replace it by using those brass nuts?
3) Assuming no sweat, is this a DIY quick fix for the uneducated?
4) Will replacing this address the water hammer?
5) There are no markings visible on this valve, something I would find at Lowes or a local hardware store? There looks to be an adjustment screw, is that something I play with first?
A colleague at work mentioned these things need to be replaced every 7-12 years.