DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > proper bathroom drain installation question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM  
Chrisnfontana

Default proper bathroom drain installation question

I replaced a bathroom drain after having or bathroom counter replaced. The problem I had with this is that because the wall drain is soooo close too the cabinet I could not turn the wall drain so I had to improvise. The only thing I could come up with without having to remove the counter our cut the pipe is the picture I have attached. It seems too work without leaking but I wanted to get a professional opinion if this is a good way to go our should I eventually duo something different down the road.

The only problem I have had with my installation is because the run of is not deep enough, I had to plug the hole for the plunger/plug attachment on the downward pipe under the sink. As the water would drain, it would reach a high enough level to where water would leak from where the lever attaches. So I had to remove the plunger/plug from the sink all together.

forumrunner_20120702_111645.png

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 92 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I would have install a tailpiece extension that would have brought the pipe low enough to make a straight shot to the drain in the wall.
Then you would be able to use the stopper assembly without leakage. However, this would have been at the expense of taking up storage space by having the pipe so low that it would interfere with whatever you wanted to store there.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 PM  
Chrisnfontana

Agreed. We don't have much counter space so my wife loves to store everything underneath. Storage space is very valuable in our small bathroom.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM  
elbo

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 14

you can actually gain storage space if you do as KOK suggests by adding a removeable shelf above the horizontal pipe

Old 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM  
CallMeVilla

Liked 322 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 122

You installed a double trap?? Not good practice because it slows the flow of water needlessly. Use a Tailpiece extension so you can get a good line to the drain. Build a shelf to stack her stuff. You will be a hero!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM  
Chrisnfontana

You are right and that sounds like a plan. Ill do just that. Thanks gentlmen.

Quick Reply