DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > pros/cons for tankless water heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 AM  
apsinkus

Wow, never read so much incorrect information in one thread! C'mon, statements like "if it needs bigger supply line it uses more gas" sounds like someone did not pay attention in Physics class. How does a 83% efficient unit uses more than 60% efficient unit?
Yes, it does require higher volume at a shorter period of time, but the efficiency is where it matters.

Usual break even point on a tankless water heater for a family of three is 5 YEARS (includes install costs). You will get your tax (state and federal) incentives AND you will see rebates from your gas company of about $400. Gas prices are not going to get any smaller.

BTW, there are plenty of units out there that can be externally mounted and vented.

Last edited by apsinkus; 01-27-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 AM  
patterrw

We have had our Eccotemp Tankless unit for 3 months now, and are very happy with it...We had 1 slight problem at the outset with the control board, but that was remedied right away...ours is mounted on the exterior of the house about 8 feet from the gas meter...our previous water heater was electric 43 gall and 12 years old (Rudd)...this unit, installed, was around $1000, and we qualified for the $300 tax credit on the unit as well as a $300 bill credit from our utility company.

no need to upgrade gas line or anything

two of us in the house, built in 1964, 1400 sq ft, 2 baths.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 PM  
B.Thomas

Well I've got a problem with my Takaji (see another thread here), but don't know what the problem is exactly.

I didn't install mine to code (hey, maybe that's the problem!), in that we didn't enlarge the gas pipe, as your supposed to do in California at least. But the guy who installed it (a relative of mine with a lot of experience) said there was no need to do so. Don't know if this is true or not.

But what I like about the tankless is that I save a lot of space. In a place where space is at a premium (NYC or parts of LA or other cities), tankless could be "worth" it on matters other than saving energy costs. I was able to fit a takaji and a stackable washer/dryer where my old heater used to be.

Quick Reply