DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Putting screw into chrome/steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 AM  
wpkoehler

Default Putting screw into chrome/steel

I have an old wall hydrant on my home that was missing the stem. I wanted to put a new sillcock at that same location. I found a good anti-freeze sillcock and ground down the hex part near the threaded end. I cut the old brass piping that the old wall hydrant had on the inside of the house. The new sillcock fit through the old hydrant hole perfectly. My question is this: Can I put screws into the chrome housing of the old wall hydrant (to keep the new sillcock fixed to the house)? If I drill holes in the chrome flange can I then put a screw into it? Will it hold? I know it is a basic question but I have never attempted this before. I have attached a picture of the gutted hydrant in question.

Thanks!

spigot-2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1358

Depending on how thick the steel is, if it is thin like sheet metal you could use a ss sheetmetal screw. If it is thick like 1/8" or more you may have to tap it to take a machine screw.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 104 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Drill through the new flange with a drill bit for metal and then drill into the cement behind it with a masonary bit. Install wall anchors in the cement and then screw through the flange into the wall anchors.

Quick Reply