DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Replacing shutoff (

JeremyB 06-30-2012 09:00 AM

Replacing shutoff
Hi Fellas,

I am going to have to replace my outdoor faucet as it has been leaking lately and also want to replace the shutoff to it in the basement as it's looking rough also.

While Im sure I can run the new faucet through the wall after removing the old one pretty easy I am stumped as to how I can replace the shutoff valve? I want to use a ball valve instead of the old style compression one that is already. Is this a easy job to do?

But what stumps me as how do you solder copper pipe into a ball valve? or does it somehow crimp down onto the pipe? is that what a sharkbite ( I think thats what there called ?) does?

any tips would be great


oldognewtrick 06-30-2012 09:55 AM

Jeremy, just shut down the entire house and get all the water you can out of the line. Sweat on a new shut off valve (you can get one with a solder fitting end) and make sure the valve is in the open position when you solder it. I just did mine a couple weeks ago, easy job to do on a hot Saturday.

JeremyB 06-30-2012 11:49 AM

Cheers oldog new trick,

would you have a link to what they look like

oldognewtrick 06-30-2012 12:41 PM

The end of the valve has a sleeve to allow the pipe to be seated and soldered. It will be mooth as opposed to a threaded end. I do not have a link.

JeremyB 06-30-2012 01:28 PM

Thats what I though oldog :)

JeremyB 06-30-2012 02:04 PM

Also Oldog,

what are these sharkbites ball valves I see? I read that nothing has to be soldered? how do they work?


kok328 06-30-2012 02:24 PM

JeremyB, see this link:

JeremyB 06-30-2012 04:49 PM

Cheers Kok328,

Went to the hardware store to get the parts. I just have one last question for you guys. I will have to dothe soldering in a area that is somewhat close to a floor joist, how can I safely solder around it so I dont burn my house down? :p

Can you just spray the area down with water from a spray bottle to keep the area wet? or do they make something that can be placed there somehow to act as a fire barrier? maybe take my autographed michael andretti racing gloves at stick them there,lol.... well maybe not.

Anyways I will still keep a fire extinguiser and a bucket of water beside me:rolleyes:

kok328 06-30-2012 08:11 PM

Yes, you can purchase a fire resistant fabric heat shield at your local hardware store.
Place this between the combustible material and the connection being soldered.
Check this:

BridgeMan 07-01-2012 05:27 PM

Use the smaller of the 2 tips that most propone soldering torches come with. I've always just sprayed down any nearby combustibles with water, and never burned anything down yet. Don't forget the flux, after rubbing all contact points squeaky clean with steel wool.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.