DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower Drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:09 PM  
erwabo

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shower Drain

Im not sure if this is the right forum, but I am guessing it is. I dont do a ton with plumbing, but recently the shower in our basement was giving off a peculiar smell. So I got a little closer and it turns out its coming from the drain. We dont ever use this shower and the smell is not coming from any other drains. I was thinking perhaps some water had evaporated from the trap and letting sewer gas through, but even after running the shower, the smell seems to come back pretty fast. I though maybe a vent pipe was clogged to, but its only coming out this one location. Any ideas?

Thanks
Eric

Eric is the owner and author of www.installationcosts.com, a website that provides articles, tutorials, videos, and tips for homeowners embarking on any range of home improvement projects.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 784 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

If the vent is not working properly the smell would not go away at all. A couple cups of water twice a week. This may have been an ongoing problem, sewer gas dosn't alway smell that strong.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM  
erwabo

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I took the drain cover off and it looks as though there was just years of CRAP plastered to the sides of the drain, so it just needed a REAL good cleaning and some baking soda =) Drainage was great, water level was good. I think that should pretty much solve my issue =)

Eric is the owner and author of www.installationcosts.com, a website that provides articles, tutorials, videos, and tips for homeowners embarking on any range of home improvement projects.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-19-2013, 10:03 AM  
erwabo

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well this was a basement bathroom shower that we dont use and probably wont use, so I didnt even thing to really check IN the drain since it was draining, but it was not pleasant when I looked in there

Quick Reply