DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower faucet leak when diverted

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

If the diverter is working properly, there should not be any water leak by at all. It is possible that you were given the wrong stem and seals for your faucet. That's why I suggested contacting the manufacturer ... they can furnish you with the proper part numbers. Do you still have the ORIGINAL parts? If you don't know the manufacturer and model number, you can try to match them visually (but they must be EXACT, not just similar).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 PM  
Apuck

I see. Well that makes sense. Of course I don't have the original parts anymore. I took them with me to match up when I bought the new stuff, but I'm sure it's possible they screwed up. Now you have me even more curious though. I know the parts are Price Pfister (the originals were too), but other than matching up with seats, and handles and stuff does it matter what brand they are? I mean if I decide to just say heck with it and start over, Moen stems and seats and stuff would attach and work just the same and work the same so long as I matched up the stems with seats, handles, etc. right? I mean the pipes they attach to are just pipes right? They aren't anything that should be proprietary??? Sorry, if this seems really dumb, I don't do much plumbing.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Every company makes there own style stem assemblys, even within one companys products they can be differant, due to improvements over the years.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:51 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Like Joe said, each company has their own stuff, and each company has many different faucets. The offsets have to be exact, or they won't work. Your faucet has water coming in from each side mixing in the middle. The diverter is a valve just like the hot and cold. When it is open, by default the water flows down out of the spout (even under pressure, water follows gravity). When you close the diverter valve, the water flows out the top hole into the shower. For this to happen, the bottom hole must be closed off. The valve and stem both must be the right diameter and length, our it won't seal (why you still have water coming out of the spout). These dint normally have replaceable seats ... Those are usually machined into the body. If you know the model number of your faucet, Price Pfister can give you the part numbers you need. If not, you may just want to replace the whole faucet assembly.

Quick Reply