DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower Floor Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 PM  
House_with_suprises

Default Shower Floor Issues

Hi! This make-shift bathroom has a decent one-piece shower. However, when you step in....the shower floor is unstable. I'm guessing it wasn't install correctly. So how can we stabilize the floor when it's already been installed? We can get to the crawlspace.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM  
joecaption

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it's now full of cracks from flexing it's trash.
The only way to correct this is to remove it and start over and install like it was suppost to have been done, set in a morter bed.
No trying to shoot foam under it is not going to work.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

I don't agree with joecaption, and suggest that trying a can or two of foam for less than $20, could make for a definite improvement.

I'd be tempted to try some "strong" spray foam (there are different categories, depending on what's needed), working from the crawl space. Drill enough access and air-egress holes, and work from the middle out, in all directions. The trick will be in installing the correct amount of foam, such that you don't blow the shower floor (pan) out. Plug each hole after removing the injection tube, and remember to let the stuff fully cure before testing the shower pan.

But be careful. I've seen commercial steel door thresholds blown out by too much foam being injected underneath them, requiring complete door frame replacement.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 AM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan
I don't agree with joecaption, and suggest that trying a can or two of foam for less than $20, could make for a definite improvement.

I'd be tempted to try some "strong" spray foam (there are different categories, depending on what's needed), working from the crawl space. Drill enough access and air-egress holes, and work from the middle out, in all directions. The trick will be in installing the correct amount of foam, such that you don't blow the shower floor (pan) out. Plug each hole after removing the injection tube, and remember to let the stuff fully cure before testing the shower pan.

But be careful. I've seen commercial steel door thresholds blown out by too much foam being injected underneath them, requiring complete door frame replacement.
Bridgeman, how will the foam stay to add structure? Do you mean to spray between plywood?... Foam needs to sit on something I've only seen this done to slab floors? Is this the same idea?

Quick Reply