DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower head Leaks - pex piped




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM  
rbliss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: surrey, BC
Posts: 3
Default Shower head Leaks - pex piped

I installed pex water lines to bathtub including shower head connection. When water is turned on shower head leaks even though diverter valve is not pulled on. Is there anyway to correct this problem?



__________________
rbliss is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 03:19 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887
Default

The tub spout cannot be plumbed in Pex.

The PEX has a smaller inside dia. than copper and brass pipe so the increased back pressure causes water to rise up to the showerhead.



__________________
Redwood is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 AM  
rbliss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: surrey, BC
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Its really stupid that they manufacture the pex showerhead fitting but no warning instructions in the shower controls advising not to use pex to connect the shower. thanks again.

__________________
rbliss is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887
Default

Delta & Moen have that warning in their instructions, I don't know about other manufacturers.

The Shower can be connected with PEX but the higher flows to the tub spout create a back pressure problem causing water to rise up the shower riser and drip out of the showerhead.

__________________
Redwood is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 PM  
rbliss
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: surrey, BC
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Delta & Moen have that warning in their instructions, I don't know about other manufacturers.

The Shower can be connected with PEX but the higher flows to the tub spout create a back pressure problem causing water to rise up the shower riser and drip out of the showerhead.
Hmmmn....one day I will read the instructions...and maybe ask for directions when I get lost in the car...lol. Resolved the problem by putting a on/off valve on the shower head. wont make that mistake again.
__________________
rbliss is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 AM  
WhiteTiger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbliss View Post
Thanks, appreciate the feedback. Its really stupid that they manufacture the pex showerhead fitting but no warning instructions in the shower controls advising not to use pex to connect the shower. thanks again.
Well the manufacture of the tub and shower valves do warn you. Here are two different faucet manufactures instruction manuals. I took a picture off the warnings from. Do not feel to bad I know lots of plumbers that have made the same mistake. The only difference is they corrected their mistakes properly instead of a band-aid type fix.



__________________
WhiteTiger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Well the manufacture of the tub and shower valves do warn you. Here are two different faucet manufactures instruction manuals. I took a picture off the warnings from. Do not feel to bad I know lots of plumbers that have made the same mistake. The only difference is they corrected their mistakes properly instead of a band-aid type fix.
Yep! Those are the Delta & Moen instructions
__________________
Redwood is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 11:17 AM  
WhiteTiger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Yep! Those are the Delta & Moen instructions
Good eye there. Grohe, Kohler and many others have the same warning. Just did not want to go digging for the instructions.
__________________
WhiteTiger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic
 
Redwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Olde Tyme, Connecticut
Posts: 887
Default

Pretty much any mixer that has a diverter in the tub spout or, between the mixing chamber and the tub spout will carry that warning.

The type that basically just shut off the tub spout.

Ones that have a selector valve usually will not have a problem.

__________________
Redwood is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 PM  
WhiteTiger
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
Pretty much any mixer that has a diverter in the tub spout or, between the mixing chamber and the tub spout will carry that warning.

The type that basically just shut off the tub spout.

Ones that have a selector valve usually will not have a problem.
Agreed, but I have a feeling most here will not attempt to install the ones with the selector, since it is not a typical big box store valve.


__________________
WhiteTiger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Shower head, Dielectric union ISUzj Plumbing Forum 4 10-28-2010 01:17 PM
Hand held shower head kuriouskitten Plumbing Forum 4 12-11-2009 05:00 PM
Shower head dakuda Plumbing Forum 1 09-02-2009 10:13 PM
Stuck shower head stealthxcat Plumbing Forum 1 05-09-2007 11:25 AM
Waterfall Type Shower Head Lost Plumbing Forum 3 09-24-2005 11:42 AM