DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower head reduced flow in tub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 AM  
gembob

Default Shower head reduced flow in tub

our old hand held showerhead had cracked and was leaking, so I installed a new one with the same flow rate, but when we turn the water on now the flow is greatly reduced, and the flow out of the faucet into the tub is reduced as well. I didn't think the showerhead could effect the flow rate into the tub faucet but appears as though it has. The installation instructions say that if the hose is backwards the flow rate could be obstructed - according to the labels they had on the hose it is installed correctly, but I haven't tried switching it around yet - anything else that could be causing this problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Fill a bucket and time how long it takes, with the tub spout and the shower head. Then replace the old one and do it again.
I'm think it's imaginary.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:47 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 388 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 161

"Some people" routinely drill out the flow limiter that comes pre-installed in all new shower heads. That guarantees a strong flow. However, since the tub spout is isolated from the shower head, there can't mechanically be a connection.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM  
gembob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
"Some people" routinely drill out the flow limiter that comes pre-installed in all new shower heads. That guarantees a strong flow. However, since the tub spout is isolated from the shower head, there can't mechanically be a connection.

That's what I thought too but wasn't sure - so if the tub is slow as well, then there is something else going on, correct?

Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The water goes to the mixing valve where your faucet or faucets are then to the tub spout unless you close the diverter then it goes to the shower head. Did you do anything at all besides just change your shower head? There has to be a missing piece here. When you say the flow it "greatly reduced" do you mean down to a trickle? In changing your shower head could you have caused something to come loose and fall down into the mixing valve? This is highly unlikely but it sounds like you have restriction somewhere. If you can turn the water off and pull the guts out of the mixing valve you can check for restrictions there. These are just guesses without more details from you.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM  
gembob

I didn't do anything except replace it. Last night I removed the hose that connects the j-pipe to the shower head while the tub was on and it went back to normal, screwed the hose back on and it made an odd noise and flow was cut back. Not to a trickle, but it is reduced and it makes a pretty odd noise whenever we screw that hose on....

Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Explain, odd noise? Type and brand of mixing valve?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

I still say to measure the water flow. I am thinking that when you run water to the tub air is being syphoned into the water from the shower head making the water look like more than it really is. With the new shower head, less air is available and you may hear air sucking noise.
Just a guess, but?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 388 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Dude, drill out your shower head's flow limiter. That will guarantee no back pressure. There is no reason a shower head should/can impact the tub spout. The water will always go to the spout unless the diverter is actuated. If your diverter is not releasing completely, it could restrict the flow to the tub. However, when the diverter is engaged, the water will go only to the shower head.

shower.jpg  

Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM  
gembob

It's a speakman showerhead - the noise is hard to describe, like the faucet is much more strained. I can measure, the flow, but I can stand there, screw in the hose and unscrew and watch it change dramatically. How exactly do you drill out the flow limiter? Is that just the plastic part on the hose?

Quick Reply