DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shower head reduced flow in tub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 300 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 102

If that’s the case there is no doubt it’s the head. Somehow the head has enough restriction that the faucet flow is causing a low pressure in the valve that’s causing the valve to want to close or something I have never seen this but anything is possible.

If you take the head off and hold your finger over the hole I would assume you could do the same thing as screwing it on and off and watching the change. I wonder if you could then feel it sucking at your finger.
Sounds like removing the flow restrictor is in order based on what you are saying. I hate those things anyways if I want less flow I know how to turn the knob.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM  
Fireguy5674

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

When you talk about the hose you are screwing on and removing where exactly is that attached? I am getting the feeling that your setup does not look like Villa's picture above. Does your hose attach where his picture shows the shower head or closer to the tub spout? Where is the J pipe you are talking about? Is that the pipe coming out of the wall for the shower head? Just trying to make sure we are all talking about the same thing.

By the way the flow limiter is normally just below the theads for attaching the shower head to the pipe from the wall. I your case I would say you have to remove the hose from the shower head to find it.

If you could take a picture of your shower setup and post it someone might spot the problem right away. I am sure it is fairly simple, but some times things get missed or misunderstood due to differences in terminology and different backgrounds.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 353 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 141

This is a simple explanation for you ... http://www.ehow.com/how_5189790_remove-flow-restrictor-shower-head.html

I typically remove the head from the threaded coupling. I just look for the restrictor inside the shower head. A 3/16" drill bit is all it takes to puncture the restrictor .... or you can pry it out. Whatever.

I would also check the diverter to see if the spout needs replacing. You can unscrew the spout and get a replacement. After putting teflon tape on the water stub coming out of the wall, screw the new spout in place. If it does not reach, you might need to buy an escutcheon to fit over the stub before screwing the spount into place permanently. Remember to apply silicone liberally to the back side of the escutcheon so you never get water in the wall.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 748 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

Better is use one of the new design showerheads that uses air to make the lower amount of water act more like the non restricted ones.

Quick Reply