DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Shutoff valves... help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default Shutoff valves... help!!

The shut off valves in my house are the old style not the quarter turn.... I would like to replace them, partial because even though they are working, I had to mash some of the handles in order to be able to turn the water off when I bought the house.... I have the new quarter turn valves, but I cant get the old ones off.... do I need a benzomatic to heat up the connection in order to get them off, am I going to have to cut them off? I have tried wd-40, (these are copper sorry) I have had no luck though and would like to replace these before I am at work one day for 14 house and come back to a swimming pool instead of a house.... also, I am off for the next 10 days except for one so If anyone has a quick reply I can get right on it!!!!!

I should add also that the valves on the pipes are the screw on type.... (sweat valve??? I think).... there were not just soldered on ... the copper pipe from the wall does have threads on it.

Last edited by shan2themax; 07-27-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot an important piece of info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Default Go now...

To the library for a book on plumbing, or buy one. This will be invaluable when you need to identify things you are lookin at on the spot. Yes you need a mappgas torch which you can get now at any plumbing outlet store. These are great with the trigger starts, worth the $50.

Then post some pictures if you have any questionable areas.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply