DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Soldering question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM  
JeremyB

Likes Given: 12

Default Soldering question

Hey Guys

I have another question for you guys. I have been looking at different plumbing problems lately and wondering how I would go about fixing them ( actually been practicing soldering on some scrap pieces of copper pipe and Im not bad at it, how they hold up if water was in them is another story but hey at least Im giving it the old college try,lol )

Anyways I was looking at a water line that is close to a floor joint and got to thinking how the hell do I get a torch there without burning the wood if I had to replace it somwhow? is there something you can put there to "shield" it from the heat of the torch?

Thanks for the help guys

Jeremy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

D.O. Smith 34196 18" x 20" Flame shield blanket at PlumberSurplus.com

Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 105 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 61

One technique is to place a piece of sheet metal between the pipe and the wood or you can purchase a flame/heat resistant cloth made for just this situation and do likewise.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 PM  
JeremyB

Ah perfect guys, I was thinking something like this was available .

Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Hi Jeremy,

Great Topic! Certainly torch safety is a big problem when it comes to sweating copper pipes, especially inside the walls. There is not much worse than having the fire department show up at your job site....

I don't use the sheet metal between the pipe and the wood technique for the simple reason that sheet metal conducts the heat. If that sheet metal is red hot on one side you can rest assured that the side against the wood is red hot as well.

The flame protective mat is a much better solution as the conduction of heat to the other side is very slow and a lot less likely to reach a dangerous temperature even if you sweat pipe very slowly.

There are a number of other things you should have on hand as well for a good read check out the following link. Plumbing Torch Fire Safety

If you still aren't comfortable with the proximity of combustibles to the joint and you can't sweat it and put it into place, then sweat in a better location after, you can always use a SharkBite Push-In Fitting instead.

Last edited by Redwood; 01-06-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM  
JeremyB

Thanks for the link Redwood, some very useful information in it. When ever Im using my torch ( Usually on my hockey sticks ) I have bucket of water beside me and the fire extinguisher because you never know what could happen.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:38 PM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Spray bottle of water for those tight situations "memories" lol I have learned to start using shark bites if I know it's to close to be risky.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:47 PM  
JeremyB

just googling those sharkbite products they look cool, I have never heard of them.Still really trying to figure out how they work. I watched the video they had on youtube. So If I have 2 join pieces of copper in a area that I dont want a torch around I can use on of there fittings? Are Can you get them at hardware stores?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM  
isola96

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB
just googling those sharkbite products they look cool, I have never heard of them.Still really trying to figure out how they work. I watched the video they had on youtube. So If I have 2 join pieces of copper in a area that I dont want a torch around I can use on of there fittings? Are Can you get them at hardware stores?
Home depot has them make shore u get the ring key to get them back off with if needs be.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB View Post
Hey Guys

I have another question for you guys. I have been looking at different plumbing problems lately and wondering how I would go about fixing them ( actually been practicing soldering on some scrap pieces of copper pipe and Im not bad at it, how they hold up if water was in them is another story but hey at least Im giving it the old college try,lol )

Anyways I was looking at a water line that is close to a floor joint and got to thinking how the hell do I get a torch there without burning the wood if I had to replace it somwhow? is there something you can put there to "shield" it from the heat of the torch?

Thanks for the help guys

Jeremy
Years back i bought a electric heating machine that you could put carbon ends on it, and i could use it to solder with. I was doing a lot of putting hot water heat in finished homes. It is a pain to solder in a corner with carpeting,
finish wood or painted walls. The machine worked good but it was very slow.
Don't remember what the called it, a trendel or something like that.
If i clamped it onto a 3/4" copper ell it would take 5 min. to solder that joint.
When they said they were going to do away with asbestos, i bought a lot of rolls until i could see what they would replace it with. I still have a lot of rope and bagged asbestos in my ware house. Paul

Quick Reply