DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Soldering question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM  
sisyphus

I recently had to solder some pipes that was resting against the floor joist in my basement. I sprayed the wood first with some water. then had my fire extingusher within arms reach and went at it. It dried and blackened the wood. I waited a few secs. for the solder to cool and then sprayed the wood again for good measure. no leaks and my house is still standing. when using a sharkbite fitting, you have to make sure that you feel a click when you push the pipe into the fitting and the pipe has to run straight. great for those pipes that you can't get all the water out to solder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 PM  
Dionysia

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My husband keeps a spray bottle of water and wets the floor joist while soldering, unless I am not busy and can spray the wood down for him while he solders. It has worked out OK for us...

Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Spray bottle of water has always worked for me. Just do a thorough job of making the nearby wood (joists and subflooring) soaking wet. Then give it some more water if it steams itself dry while you're soldering. I've noticed over the years (and even recently on a few DIY TV shows) that people have a tendency to use a propane flame that's way too large for the task--just a pencil-sized blue flame, 3/4" long and slowly moving, will get the job done. And never direct the flame at the junction points where the solder will enter the fitting, but rather at the mass of the fitting itself.

Brings back memories of flame-straightening (acetylene) damaged bridge girders. Just a small No. 2 tip, properly applied by someone skilled in the practice, is enough to bring a severely bent and warped girder (looking like it's ready for the scrap pile) back into line.

Quick Reply