DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Sump pump running, flush toilet and water comes up into bathtub

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM  
AngelaSteele5

Likes Given: 1

Default Re-do of last pic

Here's the last pic again, except with markings. I put a blue line on the pipe that belongs to the sump pump. In red I circled what we think might be a check valve, or maybe it's a "cheater valve" like Bud said.

File Type: jpg Step 3 with marks.JPG (27.2 KB, 33 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

It sure sounds like a vent problem but the fitting where the pipe joins the other pipe dosn't appear to be a "Y" fitting
I think it is more a problem with the fitting at the end , that does look like a check valve.

Last edited by nealtw; 07-08-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Post #10, first photo, check valves for sump pumps are always vertical(?) and close to the pump.

Otherwise, the one gallon or so in the output pipe would re-enter the sump when the pump stops and could cause the pump to cycle on and off forever, depending on the cross-sectional area of the sump and the float level switch settings.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

BTW, the toilet needs a new wax ring, it should not allow water to leak to the basement, now that it has it will allow sewer gas to enter the house even if it dosn't appear to leak.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 332 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 110

That connection looks like an afterthought when adding the sump and needing someplace to tie it in. There are still a few things I don’t know what they are. The pipe goes straight up from the sump a couple feet and then a bunch of pipe clamps around a black thing and then up into the joists. Is that black piece just a coupling point to remove the pump for service or is it something else? We still don’t know if the white thing is a check valve and why would they put it there as Wuz pointed out.

When the pump kicks off after emptying the sump watch it with the lid off and tell us if water rushes back down the pipe and fills the sump just a little? I don’t think the switches would be set to act on that small amount of water but knowing it back drains would be good to know.

What we really need to know is where is the closest point where air can enter the drain pipe. It used to be that everything needed a vent but sometimes they do what’s called a wet vent. You can get away with it if the pipes are oversized for the flow. Take a look outside at your roof and see where the vents exit and see if you can figure out how they tie into this run?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Bud, I think it is the fitting not directing the water in the right direction and the water just fills the pipe both ways, plugging it until the pump stops.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I don’t think the switches would be set to act on that small amount of water but knowing it back drains would be good to know.
In my small sump, one gallon equals a ~2" level shift. My output pipe is 8' of 5/8" ID hose holding about 0.1 gallon so no check valve for me.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 PM  
AngelaSteele5

Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. I'll get the details on the venting and such and post back in the next day or two. Thanks again -- much appreciated! We just might figure out this rascal after all.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaSteele5 View Post
We just might figure out this rascal after all.
I applaud your ambition

Some projects are like these
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=nested+dolls&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
as you solve each problem, a new one pops up.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I'm pretty sure that's a check valve just above the pump. That white connection could be something as simple as a repair. If it is some kind of valve, there should be markings on the side. If you find an arrow there, make sure it is pointing in the direction of the flow.

My first instinct is that the sump line is not vented properly (or at all); But.....

Some pumps are not capable of vertical lift more than a couple of feet. If the pipe going up is 8 or 9 ft. but the pump is only rated for lifting water only 6 ft. (the numbers are just for example) then it might be the water is trapped between the check valve and the main drain line. It has to go someplace so it travels to the next lowest point. So the next question is 'how far away is the main drain?'

Another random thought: disconnect the sump and run it to a safe place for a test.

Quick Reply