DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Tankless Water Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:59 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 151 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 205

I'm really surprised to see these units on the outside. Must be ok in CA but n/a in OK.

(sorry, just got a little carried away) Can these be installed indoors in areas where the temps get chilly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 393 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 161

There are interior and exterior models so the off-gasses get vented accordingly. Many places, they are put in the basement. California does not have basements typically ... you are fortunate to get a crawlspace.

While the units sold in cold country have anti-freeze technology, I would choose to mount them on the interior to reduce risk and wear-and-tear.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I agree. The unit would probably last longer mounted on an interior wall, however when I completed my garage make over, there was just no interior wall available with easy access to the natural gas and plumbing, along with the third recirculating water line.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I agree. The unit would probably last longer mounted on an interior wall, however when I completed my garage make over, there was just no interior wall available with easy access to the natural gas and plumbing, along with the third recirculating water line.
This system is a lot cheaper to run than recirculating pump and there is one that works with motion detector so by the time you take a pee the water is hot.
http://www.conservastore.com/productdetail.php?p=53

Old 04-15-2014, 07:15 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
"saves the average family of four up to 17,000 gallons of water annually."
The family may be average but, with low flow or high flow faucets I doubt the average savings is anywhere near this high.
The water wasted is that in ~50' of half-inch ID pipe, about a half gallon. The family will be using about 100,000 gals/yr.

"Puffery as a legal term refers to promotional statements and claims that express subjective rather than objective views, which no "reasonable person" would take literally.[1] Puffery serves to "puff up" an exaggerated image of what is being described and is especially featured in testimonials."

I guess the "up to" is the operative term in the pitch and using a number gives this pitch an objective veneer.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 04-15-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
"saves the average family of four up to 17,000 gallons of water annually."
The family may be average but, with low flow or high flow faucets I doubt the average savings is anywhere near this high.
The water wasted is that in ~50' of half-inch ID pipe, about a half gallon. The family will be using about 100,000 gals/yr.

"Puffery as a legal term refers to promotional statements and claims that express subjective rather than objective views, which no "reasonable person" would take literally.[1] Puffery serves to "puff up" an exaggerated image of what is being described and is especially featured in testimonials."

I guess the "up to" is the operative term in the pitch and using a number gives this pitch an objective veneer.
The numbers aren't mine but if it takes two gallons of water to get to hot, even with low flow it will still take the same two gallons just slower. They sell all systems with the idea of saving water which I like but the cost of continuesly heating that water can be expencive. The system I posted returns the cold water to the cold water line and shuts itself off and the other system which I haven't found yet works with a motion detector or a switch there by saving water and fuel. Plug in your own numbers, it works.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

http://www.gothotwater.com/plumbing-installation/plumbing-layouts

Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 PM  
havasu
on permanent vacation
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 109 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I do know that I watched my natural gas bill for the year prior to the installation and a year after the installation and saved an average of $20 a month after the install. That is $240 a year. Since the unit is now nearly 5 years old, it has nearly paid for itself, not to mention the $1500 tax credit in the initial tax year. I also use the recirc timer to turn on at 6 AM for morning showers, and again at 10 PM for nightly face washing, washing dishes, and occasional showers. Not a drop of water is wasted because the water just circulates within itself.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
"Puffery as a legal term refers to promotional statements and claims that express subjective rather than objective views,
In other words, "Bullsh*t"

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I do know that I watched my natural gas bill for the year prior to the installation and a year after the installation and saved an average of $20 a month after the install. That is $240 a year. Since the unit is now nearly 5 years old, it has nearly paid for itself, not to mention the $1500 tax credit in the initial tax year. I also use the recirc timer to turn on at 6 AM for morning showers, and again at 10 PM for nightly face washing, washing dishes, and occasional showers. Not a drop of water is wasted because the water just circulates within itself.
Why should it circulate at all? I thought the savings were achieved by instantly heating the water when needed. When you do your calculations on savings, you have to take the power to recirc into account.

Quick Reply