DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > toilet tank leaking into bowl

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default toilet tank leaking into bowl

It's a slow leak. I've cleaned the slime off the flapper and other tank parts, what's my next step?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2006, 11:00 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hi Bethany:
The logical next step is to replace the flapper. After they get old and begin to deteriorate its almost impossible to stop them from leaking. It usually just slips on the overflow tube and is very little trouble to change.
Glenn

Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 AM  
K2eoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany14
It's a slow leak. I've cleaned the slime off the flapper and other tank parts, what's my next step?
Thanks!
New flapper?? They warp. I change the fill valve assembly or completely gut the whole thing and change out everything. Fluid master makes a kit for the full changeout or partial. I've been using their stuff on 17 rentals for years and have almost no complaints and if I did have a complaint I can't remember what it was.

If I see a float ball I just pull it out right away.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM  
Daryl

Sometimes it can be very frustrating trying to replace the whole stack assembly if you don't do it all the time. Quite often jsut changing the flapper will correct the problem . Warpage shoudn't be an issue since the pressure from the tank water will keep a new one sealed easily. As stated earlier the flappers become stiff and even brittle over a period of time from age. When you remove the old one check the seating area. might need to wipe this down also to provide a clean sealing surface.

Daryl

Last edited by Daryl; 09-13-2006 at 10:59 PM.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:46 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

The flapper is maybe a year old. To the touch it's still pliable and should be making the seal just fine. You do have to hold the handle an extra moment for a full flush though, could it be the flapper isn't the right kind? It's one of those mini-toilets. Could it be there isn't enough water pressure holding the flapper down? That might also be the reason you have to hold the handle... Inside the tank there are 2 levels, one line @ S 3.5, and one line @ S 1.0--it fills to the 1.0 mark. I can't find any other markings other than it was made in Chile. The PO's put it in, it's jammed right up next to the tub. Unless you like to soak your feet in the tub during your morning constitutional, it's a real tight spot... I digress.
I'd hate to waste a flapper and have the same problem, so before I do that, do you guys have any thoughts on what else the prob could be?

PS-I've replaced whole assemblies once or twice before, as well as parts, and I've installed one new toilet myself...I'm definately not a pro, but the figure-it-out part of my brain works ok. Having this forum is quite the advantage, thanks for letting me pick your brains

Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM  
Kerrylib

Go for the whole new set of guts. For about $10-$20 you now KNOW that all the pieces are in good shape and they match and therefore will work properly together. If the flapper isn't quite the right size because it was replaced with one of a different brand/style, you will spend far more than the cost to replace the whole mechanism in running around "trying" different solutions.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Thanks for all the replies folks
I've been fairly preoccupied with other projects, like the giant hole in the front of my house I promise to get back to y'all and clarify whether it was a flapper problem or a pressure prob--if I ever get around to figuring it out!
Thanks again

Old 09-30-2006, 06:18 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

The update:
Welp, it's fixed! All I had to do was fiddle with the shaft part (I have no idea what it's called) and adjust the water level. It was filling to just below the mark, now it fills to the mark, and no leaky! Why do I over-complicate everything?!?!?
$0 spent Woohoo!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:01 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Congratulations Bethany! Your "figure-it-out" brain worked very well. We're proud of you.
Glenn

Quick Reply