DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/)
-   -   Treating well with chlorine (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/treating-well-chlorine-15630/)

jmc0319 02-26-2013 07:56 AM

Treating well with chlorine
 
I need to treat my wells for coliform bacteria. What I have heard and read there are two ways to do that. First is with pouring bleach down the well, running the house water until you smell the bleach and then let it sit for 24 hours before flushing the pipes so you can use house water again. The other way is by dropping chlorine tablets down the well. I'm not sure if the tablets also require the 24 hour period or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Speedbump 02-26-2013 09:00 AM

If you have a deep well jet pump there is no easy way to chlorinate the well. If you have a larger well with a submersible pump, it's not too hard. It is very important that what ever you do. After pouring the bleach into the well, chase it with lots of water to wash it off the pipes and wire. The running of faucets until bleach is smelled is a good method. And the longer you can leave it in the pipes, the better. Four hours is probably long enough, but longer sure won't hurt.

Bleaching the well may not cure the problem. If you have Fecal Coliform, you may find that your well is shallow or has a hole in the casing and surface water is getting in. If it's just Coliform, it may be that the well has been setting for some time with no use. Running the water for several hours will sometimes cure that problem.

Fireguy5674 02-26-2013 10:56 AM

Speedbump,
I have coliform bacteria as well. Not fecal coliform. I was told bleach would help but is only a temporary solution as the coliform will returm to the well from naturally occuring bacteria in the ground. I am in Central IL. My well is hand dug, brick lined about 22' deep. In my area even the newer bored wells are only about 50'. What is your experience with reoccuring Coliform?

Speedbump 02-26-2013 11:25 AM

With a dug well, coliform bacteria is not unusual. You have a direct opening to the world with a dug well. So the bacteria has no problem getting into the water.

jmc0319 02-28-2013 02:47 PM

QUICK UPDATE FOR EVERYONE:

I poured the bleach down both my wells today. I then used a hose connected to each of the wells to wash down the walls and circulate the bleach/water in the wells. I plan on letting it sit in the pipes for 24 hours. I will let you all know how that goes.

See Neal - I am trying hard to be sure and provide you all with updates. More to come.

AU_Prospector 03-01-2013 01:02 PM

Just a note of caution.

Did this once to a 125 foot well with a submersible pump that had gone out. When we replaced the pump, we chased it with a couple gallons of bleach. Ran the water until we smelled the bleach in each faucet then let it sit as described above.

Thought we had all the bleach out of the system. Ran water until we could no longer smell it. Did our daily things for a couple days even. Then my wife decided to do laundry. Lets just say your first couple loads of laundry should either be whites or just run the washer a few times with no clothes in it. :p

Speedbump 03-01-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Then my wife decided to do laundry. Lets just say your first couple loads of laundry should either be whites or just run the washer a few times with no clothes in it.
That line shoiuld be added every time someone gives well disinfecting instructions. It could save someone a lot of money. Unless they want to wear all white clothes.:)

jmc0319 03-01-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbump
That line shoiuld be added every time someone gives well disinfecting instructions. It could save someone a lot of money. Unless they want to wear all white clothes.:)

Also might save a marriage or two. Another point of advice. I just took the first shower and drank first glass of water. What we do for our women.

Puddlesx5 03-02-2013 06:55 AM

When chlorination of a well you should bypass the softener also. Chlorine destroys the resin in a typical softener.

jmc0319 03-02-2013 04:08 PM

Day two of post well chlorination. All is well,although even after flushing house faucets and livestock well there is still a faint smell of chlorine in the water. Better today than yesterday. We will not be drinking the water until it is tested next week. Thanks to all for your advice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.