DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Type of caulk to use for pedestal sink and toilet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 AM  
papakevin

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Type of caulk to use for pedestal sink and toilet?

I've looked at some threads on this site, but couldn't find any recommendations for the type of caulk to use to finish out a bathroom remodel around a pedestal sink and toilet. On other websites, I've see clear caulk is suggested vs white, but I'm searching for the type of caulk - silicone, etc. (My goal is to get this one right the first time for a change!)

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 06:32 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I like Polyseam by Loctite. You will want to use the "Kitchen & Bath" acrylic caulk.
I don't know about caulking around the toilet. If you do, don't caulk around the back of the toilet. You need somewhere for the water to get out to let you know if your wax ring has failed.
Also, with most caulks even Polyseam the color will fade and turn a yellowish color and doesn't look that great when up against white porcelan.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:12 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 347 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 135

What KOK said is right on . . . I have even seen clear silicone get grimy and filmy. Truth is you can use just about any "kitchen and bath" product and know that in time you will have to scrape it out and re-do it. Call it the joy of home ownership!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 AM  
GraceBrown

I agree any caulk will work it is only matter of a brand and price, so take one that is affordable for you

Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 156 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceBrown View Post
I agree any caulk will work it is only matter of a brand and price, so take one that is affordable for you
I'd say it's durability vs. price, but durability may be hard to estimate and no company will say that their product is short-lived.
Since half the people move within 7 years and almost all within 14 years, you may not need 'lifetime' caulk. With frequent remodeling less than 7 years may be enough.

Water cleanup is less trouble than using mineral spirits to clean up but water-based caulk may not last as long.

And it took me some looking to find a clear, water-based caulk for my Corian kitchen countertop.

More than you ever wanted to know about caulk \/
http://web.mit.edu/parmstr/Public/NRCan/CanBldgDigests/cbd019_e.html

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-11-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply