DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Upstairs toilet leaks into the garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 PM  
RandyJ
Master Plumber

I would never split a tank & toilet unless there is a leak or obvious need to replace the bolts. Sure it's heavy but spending time on a job unnecessarily is questionable. THANKS TOO for the tip on using the shop vac to get the water out of the tank. I've done everything but that!!!! I'll definitely be doing it in the future and probably invest in a small shop vac just for these jobs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 PM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

Or create bigger problems that they may not be able to fix...

I end up bailing out quite a few handy homeowners that get into problems when they play with that connection...

I'd leave well enough alone...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM  
TNprogrammer

This is a very interesting thread. I will be pulling my master toilet today. It is located upstairs. Two days ago I noticed a water spot on the ceiling of the downstairs bedroom. The spot is in the corner of the room right at the seam where the top of the wall meets the ceiling. We stopped using the upstairs toilet as we figured from the location that the water spot is pretty much right under the toilet. The toilet is heavily caulked so we haven't noticed any water around the base of the toilet. I'm praying that damage to the subfloor under the toilet is minimal. I built houses all through college, so I'm certainly no dummy when it comes to home repair, but plumbing is one of my weakest points. I've installed a few toilets in new houses (not the plumbing, just the toilet), but I've never had to pull an old one up. I also hope, with the floor being tiled, that the installers sat the flange on top of the tile instead of having it recessed and trying to use a typical number 3 wax ring instead of a taller ring. The current ring has lasted 13 years, though, so I suspect the setup is good. If the plastic flange is broken, can you not just replace it, or is it connected to the pipe below it? I was under the impression that the flange "sat" inside of the pipe, and that you could unscrew it, remove it and put a new one in. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I will definitely, as someone suggested, leave a bit of an opening in the caulk at the back of the toilet so that I will notice leaks sooner.
Well, I'm off to pull the toilet

Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

TN Pro,
The flange can be inside or outside the pipe.
If you run into flange problems post a pic and we'll tell you where to go with it.
A lot of possibilities exist and lets just wait n see.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM  
TeeterTa

Default IF there is no water around the base...

BUT, it's leaking to the downstairs only when flushed is it a pretty sure bet that it's the seal and not something else?

All the information from everyone here was very appreciated : )

Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

That would be my first suspicion that the seal was bad...

Quick Reply