DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   Water Supply Connection for House and Irrigation (

jasontf 06-02-2011 04:48 PM

Water Supply Connection for House and Irrigation
I'm installing an irrigation system and I need to replace the tee that goes into my house to use one side for my sprinklers (instead of an existing hose bib). The existing installation is 3/4" copper pipe (from the meter) to a compression fitting, then the main shutoff 1", then a galvanized union 1", then the tee into the house and hose bib. After the tee, I'll have a pressure vacuum breaker, then SCH 40 PVC to the irrigation valves.

When I replace the tee, must I use galvanized again? I would prefer pvc with threaded connections (SCH 80?), but this is above ground. If I wrap it in pipe insulation and electrical tape, will it be to code? This is PVC after the main house shutoff just outside the structure.

911handyman 06-04-2011 05:43 PM

Depends on if it gets cold there. If so i would not reccomend using pvc you can use a product called pex. PEX Information

This is the best product on the market, if you use this buy the crimper that uses stainless steel crimp rings. Available at home depot or lowes.

If weather is not an issue the pvc is just fine. Use schedule 80

Redwood 06-05-2011 09:17 AM

Both PEX and PVC need to be shielded from UV light...

PEX more so...

911handyman 06-05-2011 08:11 PM

Although pex is not designed for outdoor use you can always wrap in and insulation or bury a few inches down.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 AM.