DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > What is a good cleaner for Plastic Bathtubs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 04:21 PM  
bristimjet

Default What is a good cleaner for Plastic Bathtubs?

I live in an apartment that has plastic bathtubs. My wife & I didn't stay on top of cleaning the tub weekly like we should now we are getting ready to move & want our deposit back. Our bathtubs are very dark & dirty right now. I have tried a lot of different cleaners including kaboom & only seem to get the surface stuff. What can I use to clean a plastic tub? I don't mind elbow grease if it works but as with the way of life now easier is better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

If scrubbing bubbles don't work,I've found that mr. clean pads are good for lots of jobs and don't seem too abrasive.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

The scum is soap and dead skin. I use the same bar soap I use on me, and if I've left it to long I use the over size hand scrubbing brush that handy in there. Some work required.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:22 PM  
Caduceus
Plumber

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most manufacturers of non-metal tubs will recommend only liquid or bar soap and a cloth to clean the tubs. This is because harsh chemicals like Kaboom and abrasives will destroy the smooth surface and actually make cleaning progressively harder.
I would say that your best bet would be a non-abrasive mechanics liquid hand cleaner like Gojo. Don't get the stuff with pumice in it.
Just smear it around the entire surface with your hand and rub it around. Let it sit for a few minutes then work it with a rag like your trying to buff wax off of a car. It going to take a lot of work and sweat. Rinse with water and repeat as necessary.
I have found this to clean old stained toilets, enameled sinks and tubs and a variety of other surfaces without damaging them.
You can test a spot of the tub with a little bit first to get an idea of how the rest will turn out.

Quick Reply