DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Plumbing Forum (
-   -   What is this thing in my basement (

n8greene 04-01-2010 07:31 AM

What is this thing in my basement
3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys-

I have something installed in a 6" deep well in my basement floor that I can't identify. I'm assuming it's an old pump of some sort, but there is no electrical service to it that I can see. I've attached photos. For size reference, the bricks around the edge are regular sized.

I'd like to get it out of there to make room for a sump pump but I don't want to do anything stupid.

What the heck is this thing?

Nate Greeene

Speedbump 04-01-2010 09:30 AM

I don't know what it is, but it's colorful.

Wuzzat? 04-01-2010 02:25 PM

First drill a small hole in the cap plate on the left in the middle photo to make sure there isn't something under pressure underneath that plate.
Then I guess you should unscrew the four bolts holding the plate or grind off the four bolt heads, to see what exactly is capped.

TxBuilder 04-01-2010 03:56 PM

I'm in Texas so I have never seen one with my own two eyes but it appears to be the remnant of a sump pump.

n8greene 04-01-2010 04:34 PM

Thanks guys--

As soon as the water subsides a bit, I'll try drilling a small hole as you suggest. If nothing squirts out then I'll feel pretty safe trying to remove the cap. I'll post back here what I find.


Redwood 04-02-2010 02:46 PM

Hard to say with the picture quality but it looks like you have clean outs for drain line and the larger dome covered thing might be an old backwater valve...

Wuzzat? 04-03-2010 10:04 AM

Only four bolts clamping down a thin plate almost certainly does not hold back much pressure. But be cautious anyway.

n8greene 04-05-2010 08:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Thanks again for helping me ID this thing in my basement.

It's dry and I've cleaned it up a bit --I've attached better photos.

The bolted on plate is definitely thicker than I thought.

I have room to put in a sump pump next to this thing so that's what I'll do-- I'm just going to leave it alone.

Best Regards,

Nate Greene

Speedbump 04-05-2010 09:51 AM

Now that I can see the flange better, if I didn't know any better it looks a lot like the flange on a vertical jet pump or two that I've seen over the years. Not sure why the (what looks like) two inch hubbed pipe is leaving the housing, but it sure looks like someone unbolted a vertical pump, and plugged the housing with a flange and cover.

Bud Cline 04-05-2010 07:23 PM

Ever had "oil heat" in that house?:)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 PM.