DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Whole house water filter install with PEX question

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM  
sikkensuser

Default Whole house water filter install with PEX question

I'm installing a whole house water filter Home Hardware » Product Details » that requires being mounted horizontally to a 1/2"PEX cold water line (located just after the meter).

If this was a rigid copper pipe it would be sufficiently rigid to hold the filter aloft, but with 1/2" PEX I'm thinking it will sag considerably. I can't use standard wall anchors as the filter requires about 3" of clearance from the wall.

What is the best means of attaching it?.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikkensuser View Post
I'm installing a whole house water filter Home Hardware » Product Details » that requires being mounted horizontally to a 1/2"PEX cold water line (located just after the meter).

If this was a rigid copper pipe it would be sufficiently rigid to hold the filter aloft, but with 1/2" PEX I'm thinking it will sag considerably. I can't use standard wall anchors as the filter requires about 3" of clearance from the wall.

What is the best means of attaching it?.
Sounds like you will have to make the holder to fit the job. Did you check the water flow through this filter. A house is usually feed with 3/4 not 1/2. It depends on the pressure but 1/2 pipe is not rated for a lot of water flow, and then the filter is another restrict-or. I think the average home should have at least 7 gal. a min. Later Paul

Old 11-09-2010, 06:40 AM  
Redwood
Certified Lunatic

I too question whether that unit could be called a whole house filter.
Be ready for a substantial pressure drop and rapid clogging of the element.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know how they get away with calling these things whole house filters. They used to be a one faucet filter and because of the convenience of a word processor, they are not whole house filters. They also remove absolutely nothing that is harmful to you. Unless they are carbon, then they work for a few months or less to take out chlorine. And that's only if the water goes through them slowly enough. Like at one gallon per minute.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
I don't know how they get away with calling these things whole house filters. They used to be a one faucet filter and because of the convenience of a word processor, they are not whole house filters. They also remove absolutely nothing that is harmful to you. Unless they are carbon, then they work for a few months or less to take out chlorine. And that's only if the water goes through them slowly enough. Like at one gallon per minute.
This is why sites like this one are so great, everyone knows a lot of things, so we can ask and help each other out before we get took. Later Paul

Quick Reply