DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Bees drilling holes and making themselves at home.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM  
Todd-Beaulieu

4 conversations starting late last summer about the bees. Yep ... we'll take care of them. This spring: they're here! Please come! Ok .. we took care of them. CHECK.

The next day: ARG! They're everywhere! Come back!

(I'm home this time) Oh ... we can't get up there .. we're not allowed to use ladders. Huh?! But you said you took care of them last week. Well, I kinda misted in their general direction and just said I did actual work.

Terminix: F I R E D !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM  
djurgensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Beaulieu View Post
I could go on and on about the bees and Terminix' unwillingness to treat for them on our barn (despite their unsupervised claims to have been!).

In the end, the woodpeckers came in and in one week's time rid of of our bee problem. Of course, in their wake was left riddled fascia boards.

Don't ignore them. I hired a local company to use a bee pole to dust under each slat of siding where they go under the fascia.

Have to repeat it next Spring... and replace the fascia boards.

I like the idea of screening ... will consider that as a long term solution.
Woodpeckers attempt to keep the bees under control on our outbuildings doing considerable damage to the exterior. No big deal. Outbuildings are supposed to be a bit funky looking. The bees hide deep, deep, deep in the interconnected holes as the peckers pursue them, splinters aflying.

BTW, we tried the fiberglass woven screen (easier to work with) before the metal screen..... and the bees eat right thru it.

We also has some interesting encounters with exterminators who know darn well how to get rid of the bees using much stronger chemicals than EPA allows... but tend to hesitate... for good reason probably.

Creosote works if you can stand the smell.

d.j.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM  
joecaption

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A real exterminater would have sprayed a soloution of hot water and boric acid over the whole house. Any home owner can do the same thing. Just go buy some Roach Away, it's 95% boron. It kills the bees by dehytrating them.
We pretreat all or cedar before installing it. Clear silicone sealer will not get rid of them, just plugging the hole will do nothing because there's a larive in side the hole. When it hatches it's going to just bore another hole to get out.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM  
djurgensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
A real exterminater would have sprayed a soloution of hot water and boric acid over the whole house. Any home owner can do the same thing. Just go buy some Roach Away, it's 95% boron. It kills the bees by dehytrating them.
We pretreat all or cedar before installing it. Clear silicone sealer will not get rid of them, just plugging the hole will do nothing because there's a larive in side the hole. When it hatches it's going to just bore another hole to get out.
The problem anyone faces, homeowner or exterminator, is getting chemicals on the bees or lavae hiding/hatching deep in the siding in order to kill them. You may be able to get a little bit of chemical on the bees as they come and go... but very little.

Pretreating is a great idea. It may deter the initial boring. However, once the hole is bored into the siding going deeper and deeper into the wood, the more difficult it is to contact the bees in order to kill them.

Dusting or squirting anything into the labyrinth the bees create I found to be futile.

dick jurgensen

Quick Reply