DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Condensation issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM  
kwatt57

Default Condensation issue

We are running 5 Humidifiers around our home to help with dry forced air. I noticed dark streaks/ Icicles down the side of my house the last few days, primarily under soffit vents. I think excess moisture may be getting into attic condensating and raining back down...My question is does anyone have any suggestions how I can continue to humidify my home but curtail this problem? all ideas are appreciated! thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 381 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Switch to a whole house humidifier system attached to your forced air. Better control, less hassle, less energy usage.

http://www.holtinc.com/webapp/p/3/flow-through-humidifier

Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

Are you sure one is causing the other.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 324 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I’m with Neil. When trouble shooting it’s easy to look for what has changed recently and then the awareness of that causes us to look for other things or if we see other things wrong want to tie them back to what we know changed. An example would be we buy our gasoline brand A all the time and out auto runs great we switch to brand B and we have running problems. It has to be that darn brand B gas. We take the car to the garage and they find the spark plugs are shot and it fixes the problem. So we tell everyone we know don’t buy brand B fuel it ruins your spark plugs.

If your house is excessively dry as most are in a very cold winter and gas heat adds to it. Any moisture we add into the air should be sucked up and it shouldn’t be much higher humidity than we see in the warm months. The vapor barriers should keep the moisture where you want it. With your 5 humidifiers how much water would you say you are adding per day to them? Have you been in the attic to see this taking place? Where do your bathroom fans run to? Are the streaks just in one area or all around the house? Is this the first year you have seen this?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 PM  
kwatt57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 View Post
I’m with Neil. When trouble shooting it’s easy to look for what has changed recently and then the awareness of that causes us to look for other things or if we see other things wrong want to tie them back to what we know changed. An example would be we buy our gasoline brand A all the time and out auto runs great we switch to brand B and we have running problems. It has to be that darn brand B gas. We take the car to the garage and they find the spark plugs are shot and it fixes the problem. So we tell everyone we know don’t buy brand B fuel it ruins your spark plugs.

If your house is excessively dry as most are in a very cold winter and gas heat adds to it. Any moisture we add into the air should be sucked up and it shouldn’t be much higher humidity than we see in the warm months. The vapor barriers should keep the moisture where you want it. With your 5 humidifiers how much water would you say you are adding per day to them? Have you been in the attic to see this taking place? Where do your bathroom fans run to? Are the streaks just in one area or all around the house? Is this the first year you have seen this?

I'd say we add about 1 gallon per humidifier per day. most of the streaks seam to be concentrated outside youngest child's room. we keep an electric radiator heater on in there at night because she kicks off covers. Also we had a new roof installed over the summer. My hunch is that's nothing to do with the problem but I'll throw that out there as well. I'll try to get in the attic tomarrow (its hard to get at...in closet above shelves..) Bathroom fan is good. its ducted through ceiling & out soffit vent on other side of house. also this is the first year I've seen this. I've been hear 12 years.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 417 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Vent should go through the roof not the soffit. While you're in the attic, check to make sure the exhaust vents are cut in and not restricted by underlayment.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:01 PM  
kwatt57

O.k. got to the attic today. No obvious moisture present. however there was quite a bit of mold present. At least it looks like mold. This is only on the right side (above front bedroom) not on the left side( above rear bedroom) front bedroom is where my youngest sleeps where the radiator heater is running at night with door closed in addition to humidifier. other room has humidifier. both rooms are mirror images to one another. I tore both down to studs approx. 4 years ago and re-did. New insulation, drywall, ect. also installed Styrofoam vent chamber where insulation could have blocked soffit vents. Roofer removed two roof vents & installed ridge vent with new roof which appears to be clear. I posted some pictures here //brucesalbum.shutterfly.com Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 803 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1367

Did you inspect the attic before roof was done? When you redid the drywall did you add vapour barrier? When you have the bathroom vent exhaust in the soffet, the soffet vent should be blocked for 3 ft on each side of it.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:07 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 324 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

You defiantly have something going on up there that needs to be addressed. Your roof is stick framed and has a ridge board running down the middle. When the roofers removed the old vents and did the ridge vents how wide did they open up the peak of the roof? I’m wondering if maybe you are not getting enough air flow. If you pop your head up again point the cam straight up and take a shot. The other comments made are also important questions as to vapor barrier and how the bath vent was run.

Just out of curiosity where do you live? In terms of climate.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM  
kwatt57

I'm getting a lot of good feedback, thank you guys for that. Bud, I think I agree with you on the ridge vent. I'm uploading a picture for you. at it's max it appears no more than 1/2" air gap between ridge beam & roof for air to escape. However I don't know what is standard. I'm wondering if I just have new vents installed where old ones where if this would clear up this mess. I also have been thinking about what if I install a power fan in one of those openings instead and install a gable vent? I think the "Bleeding" is I result of the holes in the insulboard (don't know if that's the proper terminology) I believe the siding contractor I used 8 years ago left those. I It looks like they where leaning ladders against it and poked holes in it. this also occurred behind walls on the second floor. during remodel I attempted to patch the with tyvek tape from inside before adding insulation. although it doesn't seem wet up there, I did observe condensation on back of roof underlayment & behind siding where exposed through holes. Concluded attic must be warmer than outside (should be close to same temp correct?)to prevent this. to clear up about bathroom vent, this is located under different roof( older house with addition) this roof is not using soffit vents for roof (1920's construction). I don't know if that was common then...it uses a gable vent with a power fan on other side. I've never seen trouble over there. Not saying adding bathroom vent down through soffit is correct way to do it, but moisture cant re-enter soffit vents as there aren't any. And bud, I live 25 miles east of Pittsburgh Pa. //brucesalbum.shutterfly.com

Quick Reply