DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > A Frame Cabin... More roof than siding

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM  
kikikins567

Default A Frame Cabin... More roof than siding

We are going to be redoing our roof in a couple of weeks, and will be doing siding later this summer. We have struggled keeping our house insulated and our electric bills are crazy. With the new roof, some people have suggested insulating the roof before the shingles get put on because our roof is the biggest part of our home. First off, is this a good idea? and if so, how would you suggest we do that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 AM  
Clayton

I live in an A Frame too so I know what you are talking about. Insulating the roof before the roofing goes on is "the best way" but also the most expensive. I didn't do it when I built my house 40 years ago (didn't know to do it and didn't have the money either). I wish I had, but then I live in Tennessee and we don't have the cold you do so it as not that big deal with me as it is with you. If I were you I would find a way to do it.

The best way is to build frames of 2 x 4 and lay them on the roof; sort of like building framing walls, then you insulate between the 2 x 4s just like you would do in walls. Then you have to resheet the roof with plywood and apply the new roofing on that new plywood. This means you have to redo all the fascia boards so it's pretty involved.

Depending on how complicated your roof design is it might be possible to prefab most the roof framing and speed up the process. The folks that build log houses with exposed wood ceilings do this all the time. Maybe you could find a contractor that builds log homes and get an estimate on the complete job, or maybe some other ideas.

Good luck,

Old 04-20-2009, 03:46 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Default Or

You could reinsulate the top of the roof with blueboard styrofoam or Structurally insulated panels, google cold roofs or SIP construction for more info.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply