DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Getting new siding. Place over existing Asbestos Shingles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 AM  
hockeynut

Default Getting new siding. Place over existing Asbestos Shingles?

Greetings! Brand new to this forum.

My house is over 25 years old and I am looking to have new siding put on my house. I had Amazing Siding come out and give me an estimate and they said they would not tear down the original asbestos siding. They would simply place over it. They said it would be to costly to have it removed. I have some concerns in regards to that.

Wouldn't nailing through the existing shingles cause them to shatter? I think of asbestos being very brittle. Also, how would they know where the studs are when nailing in the new siding?

These are questions I think about asking after they leave.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 279 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Hockey Nut, welcome to House Repair Talk.

This is a great question, if it were my house I'd find an installer that is qualified to remove the existing siding and install new. Why? you said it, the hard surface siding will crack underneath. IMO you will get a better install if you start fresh from the substrate. Asbestos removal requires a little extra effort, air quality testing, and wrapping of the old material in plastic and proper disposal at a approved landfill. We usually do a couple of asbestos shingle re-roofs each year, it's really not that much of a problem. We have never spiked the meter on the testing box. You create problems when you make dust and have airborne asbestos particles.

...but its your house, hire a installer who you are comfortable with and check out their references, customers, suppliers and don't pay for the install in full till the jobs complete and you are satisfied with their work. Just my

Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 50

It is my understanding that as the homeowner, you can remove the asbestos siding yourself and put it out to the curb for trash pickup. However, if your a business that charges for asbestos removal you have to meet certain requirements & licensing.
With that being said, I'd remove the siding myself and then have the contractor come in and install their siding. Possibly install some house wrap and/or foam board prior to installation.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:46 PM  
hockeynut

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I will check into the possibility of removing myself. I sure would feel better knowing it was out of there. I'm not real good at fixing things, but I would think it wouldn't be too difficult tearing out the old shingles. Just have to be careful.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:46 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Default sure

The way to do it without breaking the shingles is to clip off the nail heads, and the shingle slides right off. Then bag the nails sideways when you get the insulation board off also, the nails will just snap. Bag the shingles in the appropriate bags, and dispose of usually in the landfill if your town allows it.
talk to your towns rescource director. Otherwise known as the town dump folks.

Just My
Made in the

Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM  
Christee095

We have looked into this for our 1900 house. The asbestos siding shingles were placed over the badly weathered original wood siding! We did get an estimate for removal and it was very expensive. I have also been told by siding reps you can go over it. You can pre-drill holes in it by running your drill backwards. However, I'm like you. I'd rather have it all stripped and rewrapped. We repainted for the time being.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 PM  
dgaller

Can anyone confirm it is legal for a homeowner in CT to remove asbestos siding on there own if disposed of legally?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:17 AM  
samfloor
Carpet Installer

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You may be able to remove it, but what will you do with it? It's illegal in most places to take it to a landfill and trash haulers won't usually pick it up.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 279 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
You may be able to remove it, but what will you do with it? It's illegal in most places to take it to a landfill and trash haulers won't usually pick it up.
You can call the land fill and they will inform you of how to properly dispose of the asbestos.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 AM  
dgaller

I have confirmed a landfill in my area will take it double bagged. My concern is can I take it down on my own?

Quick Reply