DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > help please with streaking!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM  
whyme

Default help please with streaking!!!

how come its bleeding onto my house? This window is bleeding out onto my siding i need help please thank you ! god bless

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/yosan23/DSCN4547.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 AM  
tinner666

That streaking comes from the nails in the nailing fins, as a rule. I'de be more worried about the water that satys behing the siding and often does damage there. You might want to check behind the sidng to see how the window is flashed.
My siding has a hole in the bottom edge to allow the water out, from on top of the flashing. You can check out window flashing on the site in my signature.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 AM  
whyme

is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening? when it gets warmer and i spray it with vinyl cleaner will it come off? I have never worked on any siding before so i know nothing about flashing etc. but it is very interesting to learn more about it, i'm just concerned that this would cause permanant damage to my new house siding! Thank you again.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:16 AM  
whyme

i'm not even sure what nailing fins are, however i did see some screws that were starting to rust out and i've replaced them with new stainless steel screws . not sure if that has any effect on the streaking we are seeing here..

Old 02-19-2009, 12:50 PM  
tinner666

Getting rid of the rusting screws should/may prevent more streaking. If you get it clean, it may stay clean. Honestly not sure.
Was the link helpful at all? I wanted it to be informative for pros and rookies alike.

Quick Reply