DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   Roofing and Siding (
-   -   Help with rotten wood and floating bump out (

fangarang_10 11-17-2011 02:01 PM

Help with rotten wood and floating bump out
Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums, and am hoping that you guys can help me out with some stuff for our newly purchased house.

We have a small half-hexagon bump out to our kitchen at the back of the house. Previously there was a walk-out deck, but we had to rip it up as it was falling apart.

I have 2 questions that I'm hoping for help with:

For reference I have uploaded a picture

1) As you can see there is now a bunch of exposed wood where there use to be deck (under and above the door), as well as the diagonal walls have a bunch of rotten wood near the bottom, where it met the deck (there was no flashing). What should I use to cover this up, fix it? I've been recommended using a pressure-treated plywood, but will that do the trick? are there other suggestions?

2) For aesthetic purposes I think I want to close this piece off to the ground (so that it doesn't look like it's floating. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!

nealtw 11-17-2011 04:18 PM

It's hard to see any rot there, can you get a close up of that?

joecaption 11-17-2011 05:35 PM

To "build it down to the ground" your going to have to pore a footing and use block and brick. No wood can come in contact with the ground.

fangarang_10 11-18-2011 05:44 AM

Here are some additional pictures:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

joecaption 11-18-2011 04:11 PM

Now all I have is a picture to go by, but there's a few things I can see wrong with that door and the way it was installed. No flasing under it, no sill pan, no sheathing under it (you may have removed it because it was rotten) and most of all it looks like it's sitting in to far. The threshold should have been hanging out over the sheathing by at least an inch.
It looks like someone installed the door to the studs then sheath over the nailing fin , a big no no. (there also should have been window tape around the nailing fin if that's missing to)
By being in to far the water can just run in behind anything you install under the threshold to support it, and no caulking will not work! Instead of plywood and that wood trim I would have bought a 4 X 8 sheet of PVC lumber to make the panels and used vinyl trim on the sides, and use vinyl brick moulding around the door, then you have zero maintaince.

nealtw 11-18-2011 05:03 PM

I agree with Joe: there's no quick fix here. I would be removing all the exterior, have a good look at the framing and insulation from the outside and the windows and door are probably close to end of life anyway.
I would not extend this to the ground.

fangarang_10 11-18-2011 09:27 PM

Thanks for your help guys.

I'm starting to think I'm biting off more than I can chew. I may just have to try and patch it up for now and then have someone come in and do it properly for me.

I've been trying to look into getting some PVC or vinyl lumber, but am starting to wonder if they don't sell it up here in Canada. I'm going to go out shopping this weekend, and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

joecaption 11-19-2011 06:14 AM

Try going to some real local lumber yards and asking about the vinyl lumber, it's huge down here in the states.
Any doors outside doors I order I get vinyl jams and brick moulding. How many houses have you seen with rot at the bottom and the home owner has tryed to cut it out and replace it once again with another piece of the same type wood. Now there's door companys that use vinyl at the bottom and wood at the top.
You could also try Googling vinyl lumber manufacturers and see if there any local dealers.
Two companys that come to mind are Fypon and Royal Wood.

nealtw 11-19-2011 12:07 PM

We don't see a lot of vinyl up here yet. We do use the rainscreening for everything accept viney siding now and that helps. Rainscreening is when everthing is spaced out with strips of 1/2 treated plywood so air can circulate between the siding and the housewrap with bug screen at the bottom. It works good if doors and windows are installed correctly.

joecaption 11-19-2011 04:15 PM

Why in the world would they do it like that, when house wrap is a water barrier? That would leave the siding unsupported between those strip of treated plywood, and pressure treated is now treated with copper which will react with any metal nails or screws that's not ACQ rated.
I just Googled "vinyl lumber, Canada and hundreds of sites came up. He's just some of them.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 AM.