DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > How can i fix this properly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 AM  
joecaption

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's a few examples of how things should have been done.
Wall to shingles details.
http://www.roofkey.com/roof-to-wall-flashing.html
Roof vent install.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=roof+vent+installation&qpvt=roof+vent+ins tallation&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=CBD7226F73EA32A 0C46655B2ACA02D2ABA881A74&selectedIndex=144
Notice there's no exposed nails on the lower side and the shingles cover all the metal on the sides and top of the flashing.

The OSB never should have been used as soffit material!

If that was mine I would reframe that low slope roof so it was steeper.
Get rid of those ugly turbine vents and install a ridge vent instead.
Remove any of the old rotted 1 X's and replace with PVC or wrap the metal wood with coil stock.
Plus about a dozen other items that were done wrong.
The first warning sign I would have seen if I was buying this house would have been all the roofing tar all over everything.
Done right there would have been no tar needed.
Your talking some pretty involved work here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 09:46 AM  
freddyream

Thanks for your reply Neal. I consider my skills to be fairly handy. If I have a book, I can pretty much do anything. The room below is getting a full make over. The wall underneath that mess, is going to be ripped apart and replaced as needed,

Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 837 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

The room below the low slope appears to be about 1 foot lower ceiling than the rest of the house. Like Joe said the roof over that area needs to be changed. This is done by placing inverted trusses on the roof so to give it a better angle. They can be made to fit your exact needs. In your case, if the room is being gutted and the ceiling is low, I would remove that old part of the roof add to the outside wall to bring it up to the height of the rest of the house.This would solve any problems that might be happening between that roof and the main house. The look outthat runs into the garage would be removed a and added to the new roof line and allow height for flashing against the the wall between the garage and the house.

inverted-truss.jpg  

Old 10-02-2013, 03:20 PM  
MNBuilder
Amaris Custom Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Freddy, from the photos it looks like there is no quick and easy solution. I can see a lot of evidence of quick and easy fixes. There isn't one thing I can see that was installed properly from placement of vents, lack of vent, wall flashings, use of exposed roof cement, shingles on to low of a slope...

My suggestion would be to find a reputable roofing contractor who can provide you with proper materials, flashings and expertise to have a functional roof system.

The biggest thing we see in premature roof failures is not failure of roofing materials but the misapplication of the materials. Time to start over from square one on this one. Wish I had better advise.

And remember the best value in not the cheapest price.
I have to agree,

Not quite sure what your expertise level is on roofing, but from the looks of it, this may be a project better left to the professionals. I had similar leaks in my roof and I did a lot of research beforehand to try to see if it was a fix I could do on my own. I contacted All American Exteriors and got all my questions answered, unfortunately they were not the answers I was looking for. Called a few other places and ended up hiring them to do the job. It ended up being much more cost effective and took a fraction of the amount of time that it would have taken me by myself, which is a really nice plus given the unpredictable spring weather in Minnesota.

And as stated before: When you are shopping for a professional, do not base the service on price alone. After all, this is the roof over your head we are talking about.

Good luck!

Amaris Custom Homes
...Where Healthy Living is Built In

Quick Reply