DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > I need advice re. redoing dormer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM  
apsinkus

inspectorD, thank you for such great info. I did want to see the breakout of the costs, so I get better sense.

Here is a question I have. What is the best way to talk GC into not insisting on things like painting, tiling, and other minor stuff a DIY can do? 4-5 grand here there saved is what would make this project more affordable and I would be able to channel that money to higher quality materials.

Lastly, for example I want to buy jacuzzi and some of the plumbing fixtures myself, since I have couple of connections in Chicago where even with shipping I would do better than MSRP on them. What is the best way to present that to a GC?

My main concern is that if I pull out certain pieces away from a GC, he/she may feel that there may not be enough profit for him and choose not to do a job.

I may have a very good GC I just met through a friend, but he is a busy one, so I am kind of getting ready to deal with other GCs and would like to be prepared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Honesty

Just be up front, and a contractor may not want to work that way at all. Sometimes getting deals on stuff is going to cost more, in my world a plumber needs to order everything.The issue is when something shows up wrong, they will not want to be responsible for it.
Communication and a log book are keys to a good informed job. Also when you throw the DIY in there, don't expect them to come running when you have an issue.
Just tellin you like it is, but don't be discouraged, do your homework and you can work with a good contractor. That is the most important, build that relation and they will help you out, but do it wrong....they won't be there for long.

Bottom line....DIY takes longer and sometimes is not worth it on a bigger project. Do the things you know how to do and do not hold anyone up.
Let us know when you talk to some contractors.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM  
apsinkus

InspectorD, I am definitely hearin' you. There are lots of things that would need to be done to that house. It has good bones and I can take it to the next level.
BTW, we don't own the house yet, it is in offer stage. But there are couple other ones we have as backup that are almost the same.

That all said, I might just give something of that size completely to a GC. The issue I am going bump into is that I am used to working with GC who do large commercial office contracts. THose guys are a different bunch.
So unless I find a GC I really trust, I simply will not do this project. I need a GC who listens, rather that pushes me towards the option that makes him most money. If I can find a GC, who is interested in working with me for the next 3-4 years bettering the house, I will be very happy.

In the meantime this forum is helping me educate myself.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Glad to help

The GC is always where you need to do the most homework. Ask around, see other jobs and get one who belongs to NAHB, or NARI, or another organization. Those tend to be the educated companies...willing to join a group and learn.
Sorry if I get to exuberant about these things...I have to walk both sides of the fence with contractors, Being one myself, then checking their work as a home inspector...
Just doing what I can .

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-14-2008, 08:35 AM  
apsinkus

I will definitely check out those organizations. I definitely don't want to end up with a GC who leaves pissed off inspectors and sub-cons with liens on the properties.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 AM  
Michael Thomas

In that second picture, the kitchen and bathroom are located in what appears to possibly be an enclosed back porch.

If so, there may be structural (framing and foundation) issues that need to be addressed before an additional story is added.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 05-01-2008 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply